r16 air cleaner assembly wing nuts/bolts

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

leonhart
Roadster Fanatic

r16 air cleaner assembly wing nuts/bolts

Post by leonhart »

Are the bolts (the ones that the wing nuts attach to to hold the cover) replaceable?

Mine are stripped, and the bolts themselves turn around a lot in their little "housing" - looks like maybe they were tack welded and the weld came undone? I'd just try to re-tack it, but since the threads are also stripped in places, just checking to see if there's an easy way to replace them, or if I need a new assembly.
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600 - 1.6L - 4 speed manual
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - 1.8L - 6 speed manual
2013 Scion FR-S - 2.0L - 6 speed manual
devo
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: r16 air cleaner assembly wing nuts/bolts

Post by devo »

leonhart wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:04 pm Are the bolts (the ones that the wing nuts attach to to hold the cover) replaceable?

Mine are stripped, and the bolts themselves turn around a lot in their little "housing" - looks like maybe they were tack welded and the weld came undone? I'd just try to re-tack it, but since the threads are also stripped in places, just checking to see if there's an easy way to replace them, or if I need a new assembly.

You can replace them. I went to the hardware store and got replacement bolts. I cut out the old, stripped studs and welded the new in their place. I used slightly longer bolts so that I can run the reusable Spectre air filter listed in the Techwiki. Works perfectly.