1969 SRL311-Richmond, VA

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SEC
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

1969 SRL311-Richmond, VA

Post by SEC »

I recently started working on a 1969 Datsun 2000 pre-june that was originally owned by my great Uncle Gary until it was sold to my grandfather/father over 30 years ago. Since then it has sat and rusted until recently it was gifted to me and I have begun getting excited to repair it. I was very surprised the engine started up fine with just a battery connected after sitting so long! It has been a great bonding experience between my 72 year old grandfather and I! (20yo) As well as a learning experience to understand how cars function better. This forum and the people who run it as well as post here have been extremely helpful to me and I greatly appreciate all the knowledge that is shared. I am very excited about this car and have attached a few pictures that I have from before I began work on it. I know it looks rough on the outside but all of the inside guts and components are quite solid so far! I have rebuilt all the brakes and put new tires on so it rolls easy. Currently planning to test the clutch cylinders soon as my Uncle Pat replaced them 15 years ago and left me a few spares. Any advice or help is welcomed as I will continue to use this forum for the coming weeks in my journey :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: 1969 SRL311-Richmond, VA

Post by C.Costine »

I have been very happy with my Lincoln 110 MIG welder. You can get 24"x24" sheets of 20 gauge steel at various stores. Pick up a set of butt welding clamps at Harbor Freight, and a pair of sheet metal bending pliers. Eastwoods is a good source for body working supplies. There are a number of patch panels available. Be careful while welding to take a break every 2-3 hours because argon gas can be addictive.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
theunz

Post by theunz »

Looks like you have a pretty good car to start with, but it will be a long row to hoe. Tackle it a piece at a time and concentrate on making it safe and reliable. After you get it running and get some time in driving it then you can decide how much work and money you want to put into aesthetics.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
mshort07
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mshort07 »

I’m not far from you. Urbanna Va. It can be additive if you let. You find yourself buying car after car until you have the parts you need. I ended up with four to build one.

There are a lot of great resources on 311s.org. Very helpful group. Most would say get it running and driving 1st. I didn’t. But my starting point was too far gone to drive it 1st.

Get a plan 1st and a budget you’re willing to spend. Do your research 1st on cost of parts. Plan to spend double and to take 4 times as long. 🤣

Was that hard top cut in half?
Matt
Urbanna VA
1969 SRL311 / 1967 SPL311 - Resto Project
1967 SPL311 - Donor Car - long gone
1967 SPL311 - Donor Car - long gone
1968 SRL311 - Donor Car - long gone
1968 Datsun 520 pickup
1993 Jeep
SEC
Roadster Nut

Post by SEC »

mshort07 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 am I’m not far from you. Urbanna Va. It can be additive if you let. You find yourself buying car after car until you have the parts you need. I ended up with four to build one.

There are a lot of great resources on 311s.org. Very helpful group. Most would say get it running and driving 1st. I didn’t. But my starting point was too far gone to drive it 1st.

Get a plan 1st and a budget you’re willing to spend. Do your research 1st on cost of parts. Plan to spend double and to take 4 times as long. 🤣

I am unsure what happened to the hard top but we have a hard top, soft top, and a canoe cover I think is what my grandfather called it. I'm blessed to have his assistance as well as multiple replacement parts that have been stored in the attic of a garage to help keep the car original and parts cost down. Even the interior upholstery was stored outside of the car to keep it in good shape! I started with the brakes because I figured it would be safer to actually be able to stop the car haha.
SEC
Roadster Nut

Post by SEC »

SEC wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:55 pm
mshort07 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 am I’m not far from you. Urbanna Va. It can be additive if you let. You find yourself buying car after car until you have the parts you need. I ended up with four to build one.

I am unsure what happened to the hard top but we have a hard top, soft top, and a canoe cover I think is what my grandfather called it. I'm blessed to have his assistance as well as multiple replacement parts that have been stored in the attic of a garage to help keep the car original and parts cost down. Even the interior upholstery was stored outside of the car to keep it in good shape! I started with the brakes because I figured it would be safer to actually be able to stop the car haha.
The hard top I have originally was two separate pieces that met in the middle but I believe my Uncle decided to caulk them together for some reason. It was made to be two separate pieces to store easier
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Welcome! Sounds like you have some good assistance and a head start on parts. Spend a lot of time in the tech wiki here, and browsing the forums. Lots to learn and there are no stupid questions. If it's been thought of, it's been discussed on this forum!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Maybe get a waterproof car cover to try to slow the rust down if it will be stored outside. Then check it over carefully to see if you have to do alot of welding as mentioned.
Good luck and have fun with the project
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
SEC
Roadster Nut

Post by SEC »

Linda wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:03 pm Maybe get a waterproof car cover to try to slow the rust down if it will be stored outside. Then check it over carefully to see if you have to do alot of welding as mentioned.
Good luck and have fun with the project
Linda
There is currently an old military water proof canvas tarp on top of the main body of the car and another large rubber cover over the entire vehicle now :) I appreciate the support! We both know how to weld and have a welder plus car lift etc. The frame is solid with a few spots rusted through on the outside but we have a sandblaster and power sanders we plan to use. My grandfather has worked on cars since the 60's so I'm lucky to have him.
SEC
Roadster Nut

Post by SEC »

notoptoy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:15 pm Welcome! Sounds like you have some good assistance and a head start on parts. Spend a lot of time in the tech wiki here, and browsing the forums. Lots to learn and there are no stupid questions. If it's been thought of, it's been discussed on this forum!
We plan to finish the braking system this weekend and start rebuilding the master and slave cylinders! I got lucky to have a spare master cylinder but may need to get a slave rebuild kit depending on the condition of the current one.
SEC
Roadster Nut

Post by SEC »

notoptoy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:15 pm Welcome! Sounds like you have some good assistance and a head start on parts. Spend a lot of time in the tech wiki here, and browsing the forums. Lots to learn and there are no stupid questions. If it's been thought of, it's been discussed on this forum!
Actually I do have one question. I have been debating with my grandfather over which water pump gaskets are correct as the last ones on it he made himself. Would you happen to have an image or link to show me the proper gaskets for a pre-june 1969 2000? The ones online I see are for the 7 bladed fan while I have the 4 bladed one from the start of the year. I can't determine the one between the pump and the plate and the plate to engine gaskets.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Slave cylinder from Autozone is around $20, lifetime warranty.
This is why I believe best advice is to read as much as possible for tips, tricks, parts sources and substitutions, etc.
SEARCH is your friend.
Questions are welcome but they don’t always get answered.
Sounds like your grandfather and you have some valuable skills already, so that part is covered!
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
SEC
Roadster Nut

Post by SEC »

Linda wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:46 pm Slave cylinder from Autozone is around $20, lifetime warranty.
This is why I believe best advice is to read as much as possible for tips, tricks, parts sources and substitutions, etc.
SEARCH is your friend.
Sounds like your grandfather and you have some valuable skills already, so that part is covered!
Linda
Is the slave cylinder listed under the 2000 model? I don't get any hits when I search it up. Thank you for the advice! Ive been doing a lot of note taking from the forums!
SEC
Roadster Nut

Post by SEC »

Linda wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:46 pm Slave cylinder from Autozone is around $20, lifetime warranty.
SEARCH is your friend.
Linda
A good number of the links I have tried to use no longer work is why I ask. The one in the parts interchange no longer works for the slave cylinder.
theunz

Post by theunz »

I’ve never heard of any differences on the water pump for any year 2000. Dean only shows one pump for 67.5-70 2000’s on his site.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!