Wire Diagnosis....

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Jorge022770

Wire Diagnosis....

Post by Jorge022770 »

I seem to be stuck around the same area for quite a while. I put the key in the ignition, turn, and heard the soft click of an engine without juice. Jumper cables hooked, switck...."click". I checked the grounds, redid them just in case, check the starter harness...and noticed the plastic plug connector was half melted only on the spot where the black wire from the starter's side connects to the white one on the dash harness' side.

I can't remember if this was like that already or if it happened now. I do remember that before this happened, I was working on the master cylinder and spilled some brake fluid. So I thought that maybe the brake fluid got there and killed it...but the connection is dry.

Today, I decided to get under the dash and check the connection down there.....and the same white thick wire has signs of heating up also on the plastic plug on the following connection......

The fuse and the wire coming from the fuse box show no signs of heating, and like I said...I don't know if this was already there or if it happened recently.

What should I do first???

Jorge
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

OH! I forgot to say that the last time I tried to start the car an hour ago, when I turn the switch, it is not even showing a reading on the fuel or the ammeter gauges.......
ganderson

damn

Post by ganderson »

Jorge,

that happened to me .twice..the first time it turned out to be a wire cluster of 3 directly underneath the steering wheel .it seemed that there was corrosion that shorted out the wires that run everything...

the reason that i looked under there is because Dean suggested that i look at the ammeter fuse located at the ammeter..syptoms were no lights,no juice,no sound,NO NOTHING

2nd time it turned out to be my starter i confirmed it by having someone
hit on it while i turned the key and it started right up..

Goodluck

gene
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Gene:

I have an update on the problem:

I went back, cleaned the battery terminals, connected the jumper cables on my Toyota Matrix, connected the other end on my car....and immediately heard the starter releasing.

SO I went in, turned the switch and it fired up immediately. I let the battery charge, switched off, and waited a few minutes...and it fired up without hesitation. A few times I didi it again to see if it was some intermitent problem and it didn't show signs of problems....

So I will let it meditate and think about today's eventsw, and test him again tomorrow. Thanks again Gene!

Jorge
ganderson

good

Post by ganderson »

Jorge,

An easy fix is a wonderful fix..

Good job