Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: R16 burning through points

Post by redroadster »

Ive heard this happens but it is very very very rare...you have 2...3 or more problems..lol
Always was a wrestling match to convince a customer of it
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I would suspect that the backfire is due to excessive fuel? Anytime I have ever had a real backfire (not burbling or pop pop pop) in the exhaust it has been due to fuel being ignited in the exhaust. I've blown up two Dynomax turbo mufflers in the past 3 years, but that had to do with an ignition kill switch being accidentally activated at warp speed, then me not thinking and switching the ignition back on... and igniting all that fuel...BANG!

If it's more of a pop pop you may have an exhaust leak allowing air into the system.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
johnlorio
Roadster Nut

Post by johnlorio »

Thanks to help from great friends on this forum I’ve got the car running really nicely. The shop in California installed a MSD 8222 condenser (low resistance) and .8 OHM ballast per MSD instructions but the result was 12.75 Volts at the coil and the points were frying. I replaced the dizzy with an East Coast Roadster Electronic unit, reset timing and rebalanced carbs which shop had messed up chasing red herrings with what they thought was a carb problem and car is running nicely

Now my tach went nuts then died today. I’m going to start a new thread because the cable is fine and I can see it turning the magnet around the base of the needle but needle doesn’t budge