5sp transmission rebuild

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

cole455
Roadsteraholic

Re: 5sp transmission rebuild

Post by cole455 »

Haha, no, not me (no way that I have the patience for a gearbox). Jim Myers (races 510’s) recommended a guy named Jason in Winston (JO motorsports). I offered my 5 speed overhaul manual in case he needed it, but he laughed and said he’s done quite a few of these. I ended up leaving 2 different 5 speeds with him today. Will update as we progress.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Great to know, as I have a spare 5-speed to get done. I was going to tackle it this spring.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

vorpal wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:18 pm Just had my 69 5 speed repaired by Bert's Auto & Transmission in Surrey, BC Canada through Ross Mullen's contact. Got it repaired, resealed and returned and installed it on the weekend... shifts great!
Thanks for sharing
Really glad I found this as I didn’t trust any of the locals with it
I spoke to Them a few minutes ago and will be boxing and shipping the transmission for a refresh
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by iloveredmeat »

Before you read this... please remember what your teachers told you: "There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people."

...or something like that.

Is there some sort of a 'bench test' that can be applied to a 5 speed transmission of unknown reliability?

I bought a 5 speed from one of the well-respected Roadster Illuminati, who really believes it to have been solid and working great when he removed it, but understandably he can't promise anything.

I believe the price I've heard for a rebuild is in the $1500 range, and that's just not an option right now.

I'm hoping there's a way to test the functionality - at least somewhat, so I can feel confident about installing it in my car.

Thank you!
Peter
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

For auto trans the rebuilder has a hydraulic or engine test fixture it could also be set up for a manual but I doubt they would do it for you with out there rebuilding it
You could power it with a electric mtr geared down just seeing if it has a noise
A test on a manual is to ...with it running say 2k on a rack , wheels up
Push in the clutch half way then gently try to bring up the gears , seeing how much pressure on the shift is needed to bring that syncro to the speed or on road being careful
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by iloveredmeat »

redroadster wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:00 pm For auto trans the rebuilder has a hydraulic or engine test fixture it could also be set up for a manual but I doubt they would do it for you with out there rebuilding it
You could power it with a electric mtr geared down just seeing if it has a noise
A test on a manual is to ...with it running say 2k on a rack , wheels up
Push in the clutch half way then gently try to bring up the gears , seeing how much pressure on the shift is needed to bring that syncro to the speed or on road being careful
Thank you Red!
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
andyb
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by andyb »

Bring it by next time you are up this way and we can rebuild it. With parts on hand it's a 1 day job. Alternatively, we can pull the cases and then order parts (Warner vs servo).
Andy