radiator cap gasket?-resolved

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Trav
Roadster Fanatic

radiator cap gasket?-resolved

Post by Trav »

I got two quick questions....

First question- Dean is not shipping parts until August, so is there a quick trick to get my radiator cap to not leak? It's not sealing and needs a new rubber gasket, but I would like to get it out on the road soon.

Second question- I have a luggage rack I am wanting to install, anybody have suggestions or pics of how yours are mounted to your lid? Thank you!
1970 1600

Roadster Album
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: radiator cap gasket?

Post by notoptoy »

Get an old inner tube or similar piece of rubber and cut your own gasket. Also, you could probably take the old gasket (and cap too) to the local auto parts store and match it up with something off the shelf. There is nothing magical about the gasket size and I would not go to the expense or hassle of waiting on an "oem" source for such a minor part.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Trav
Roadster Fanatic

Re: radiator cap gasket?

Post by Trav »

notoptoy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:41 am Get an old inner tube or similar piece of rubber and cut your own gasket. Also, you could probably take the old gasket (and cap too) to the local auto parts store and match it up with something off the shelf. There is nothing magical about the gasket size and I would not go to the expense or hassle of waiting on an "oem" source for such a minor part.
Ah ok thanks! They don't call this thread "stupid questions" for nothing. :) Thought it was some exclusive type of gasket... :smt102
1970 1600

Roadster Album