65 - 67 Rubber Shift Boot Possible Repro

A spot for any one considering making or selling reproduction parts-please put parts for sale in the vendors ad section

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

65 - 67 Rubber Shift Boot Possible Repro

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

Here's a part we have been wanting to make that really needs a redo. I've had complaints about the rubber cracking prematurely for years. All the ones we have been selling I've kept sealed in Nissan bar coded bags. We only pull a few out of the sealed overstock to keep in the bin and keep the rest out of the air.
Clearly the ones we are selling are not older inventory from Nissan, still I get calls after 8 months to 2 years with evidence of splitting. I'm not making this up. Those of you may have had better luck with parts lasting longer so I'm not ragging on the Nissan parts with an ulterior motive. I have 300 of the Nissan boots and if I make this new part I'm going to garbage can them all. I have evidence and proof of returns in my sales history and I have been listening to the complaints and have to hear the bad news often.
Since Nissan does not make this part anymore I can not offer the year warranty as no replacements can be given for exchange to customers.
I have the funds to tool this part here in the US. Will not consider any overseas reproduction based on foreign materials. They also are not often willing to re-engineer a part, just copiers. So I see that as risky with the possibility of making a new part with the same problem.
I've found that US companies and engineers have redesigned parts that are problematic such as this with great success.
I will be flying out to one of them in the mid west with these samples and other rubber parts and getting a more detailed quote.
The initial quote based on a drawing is $8,000 for the tool amortized over the parts run. This part would be in the estimated $80.00 list range, would not be natural rubber and I would guarantee it for 8 years. At the current pricing we've seen and if the price were to stay the same and not go up in 8 years, that would mean $160.00 in Nissan boots spent by you the customer.
The two problems I see are the material and the thin seams where there is evidence of splitting. The newer processes available may allow us to get away from there being a seam in the bellows area and thicken up these areas where they split
If there is enough interest and response I'll do it. These boots that are splitting are like new when returned to us.
Your thoughts about design change are welcome.

Dean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
devo
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: 65 - 67 Rubber Shift Boot Possible Repro

Post by devo »

Both of the 2 that I've had split in the last 2 years, have split just like the picture in the lower left corner. I don't mind if the boot does not look strictly original, just as long as I don't have to replace it every year. The originals are thin where the bellows fold, so maybe thicken the rubber at those areas, or change the design slightly to eliminate the sharp folds altogether as well as using a thicker rubber design.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

After a year, maybe two, my new one has split as well just as described. My trans leaks a bit of oil near the shifter and that seems to contribute to its demise. I would happily replace it with a longer lasting product. Thank you Dean for considering this. By the way, I installed the new window squeegees you're making and they are great and a considerable improvement over the past.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
AC77

Post by AC77 »

Will be keeping my car for years to come, so longer life and better quality sounds great to me!
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
krispoulin
Site Supporter

Post by krispoulin »

Sorry, I'm late to this. I just saw this thread after searching for some shift boot info while putting in another new one today.

I'm on my third replacement in 6 years of ownership and would love a higher quality repro.
1967 SPL311
2015 E12
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Kristopher,

The money is available to develop this part. There just hasn't been sufficient response, at least here on 311's, to justify the production. I have the new drawing and modifications to the part and selected a better material. Now all I need is genuine response and interest and support to do it.
I would suggest using this combo package linked below. I've sold a little over 80 sets of these now for early cars even though it was only used on the half year models.
The rubber boot in this kit is of a better design and soft and supple. not hard and unyielding.

www.datsunparts.com/2181
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

The half year and seating in like the 66-67 would be fine with me. I don't need all the extra folds. Only the most die hard would care. Either way a stock of newly designed ones would find their way in to my stash.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
AustinEngy
Roadster Nut

Post by AustinEngy »

I installed a new boot and also had an output shaft leak that contributed to my boot tearing within a couple of months, would definitely be interested in a repro! Thanks for looking into this, as I'm sure lots of people would pay for the higher quality product.
THE @BEATER_GARAGE LINEUP
1966 1600 the Practical Family Roadster
1998 XJ Cherokee 4.0 5 Speed Coupe
1985 Honda Nighthawk S aka CB700SC Shithawk
2 stroke beach cruiser death missile
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Would any vendor be interested in going in on half of the production run, 150 pieces, for this new beefed up design that looks original, using better rubber than genuine?
You all know the quality of the US stuff I have done for rubber parts and how detailed I am right down to numbers, letters and company names on rubber pieces as per Nissan original parts and we all know how mediocre and poor the Nissan genuine part is.
To make this available and keep the early cars with something to use would be a nice present for current and future Roadster owners.
Contact me at my email below if interested for pricing and contractual info.

sales@datsunparts.com

Dean
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

I have a née OEM boot that I am going to use. I also have one of the newer boots that will probably need to put in in a year or so. I’d buy one or more of the repo boots if/when you get them made.
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Pat and all... I repaired a ripped boot with a few staples and Flex Seal, and it worked great. I decided to replace the boot and before installing the new one I covered the underside with Flex Seal and I expect this will extend its life a lot. I would suggest the liquid version as the spray can was not as uniform and easy to use. My last boot tore within a year or two of driving, then lasted 2 more years without further degrading with the flex seal on it. Dean looked at making them as above but has since decided to use a different set up as tooling was stupid expensive.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I've been lucky I guess. My boot has been on there for several years.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Mine lasted two months/2,000 miles. I suppose I will have to try the staples and flex seal. A lot of hot air blows up through it.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

C.Costine wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:56 am Mine lasted two months/2,000 miles. I suppose I will have to try the staples and flex seal. A lot of hot air blows up through it.
It will work! Get the paint on version and make sure you seal the can well afterwards... my barely used can was a blob of rubber when I went back to it... grrrrrr. The spray can is just not as good or smooth.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA