67 1/2 , 68 - 70 Seat Foam Great feedback Dozens Sold - MORE PICTURES!!

A spot for any one considering making or selling reproduction parts-please put parts for sale in the vendors ad section

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

lettsride75
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: 67 1/2 , 68 - 70 Seat Foam Great feedback Dozens Sold - MORE PICTURES!!

Post by lettsride75 »

Got mine back today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I’ve been following this thread as I bought Dean’s covers about five years ago, before the custom cushions came out, and while my upholstery guy did a great job, my covers don’t have the “tuck” in the seat back or bottom cushion like they did when the car rolled out of Yokohama. I know that those are usually formed by crimping a rod sewn into a sleeve on the cover, to another rod imbedded in the foam in the cushion. Looking at Dean’s pictures of the cushions, I see what I think is a securing rod in the seat back, but not one in the bottom cushion. Looking at some of the members results, I see a little bit of a mix of results with the “tucks.”
Can someone better describe to me how the set achieves the OEM-type tuck? I’m not getting it from Dean’s pictures alone. Also, would my five year old Dean covers be compatible with the new foam cushions (i.e. Did the seat covers get redesigned to work with the new cushions?)?
Thanks for any help.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

John the seat back cushion from the factory has a slit in it for a rod to go through the cushion and a rod in the frame to secure it to. On the bottom seat cushion a rod goes on each side of the foam and are secured together and pinches the foam to get that line. Best I can remember it’s been 14 years since I did mine. I purchased mine from Les when he was still selling the upholstery package.
Dave
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

bakerjf wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:52 pm I’ve been following this thread as I bought Dean’s covers about five years ago, before the custom cushions came out, and while my upholstery guy did a great job, my covers don’t have the “tuck” in the seat back or bottom cushion like they did when the car rolled out of Yokohama. I know that those are usually formed by crimping a rod sewn into a sleeve on the cover, to another rod imbedded in the foam in the cushion. Looking at Dean’s pictures of the cushions, I see what I think is a securing rod in the seat back, but not one in the bottom cushion. Looking at some of the members results, I see a little bit of a mix of results with the “tucks.”
Can someone better describe to me how the set achieves the OEM-type tuck? I’m not getting it from Dean’s pictures alone. Also, would my five year old Dean covers be compatible with the new foam cushions (i.e. Did the seat covers get redesigned to work with the new cushions?)?
Thanks for any help.
The seat cover vinyl patterns could not be modified. Those patterns were digitized long ago and when doing this project I could not tell DI to change what they had been doing for years just because I wanted to do foam for their covers.
You can use your older purchase of seat covers with the new seat foam we had made. The foam mold was made then to fit around the DI pattern replicating the original foam sample front and back provided.
The seat cover vinyl are the same ones that Les sells.
You can't see in our picture the back side of the seat foam. It was duplicated to the original seat foam with all the necessary details for proper fitment.
I'll look for a picture.

Dean
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

lettsride75 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 pm Got mine back today
This looks really good.

D-
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

So, an accurate reproduction would have a tuck in both the seat and seatback cushions. Do the new cushions support this? Can the older seat covers sold by Dean (five years back) be placed over the new cushions to achieve this look?
05C3F8FE-4DBB-4197-A289-2B3F1B8AE876.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Yes the older patterns are the same .
mgmoreau
Roadster Nut

Post by mgmoreau »

Does anyone have picture of Deans seats covers over his new foam cushions that looks straight at the seats? I bought everything from Dean but I am having the seats and my new vinyl top installed by an auto upholstery shop. I want to print some good pictures that shows how pleats in the seats should look using the steel rods.

Thanks,
Marc

bakerjf wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:02 pm So, an accurate reproduction would have a tuck in both the seat and seatback cushions. Do the new cushions support this? Can the older seat covers sold by Dean (five years back) be placed over the new cushions to achieve this look?
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Make sure they install new Pirelli Webbing straps. They should be a "tan" material with very little stretch, not the green stuff.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

mgmoreau wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:41 pm Does anyone have picture of Deans seats covers over his new foam cushions that looks straight at the seats? I bought everything from Dean but I am having the seats and my new vinyl top installed by an auto upholstery shop. I want to print some good pictures that shows how pleats in the seats should look using the steel rods.

Thanks,
Marc

Marc, If memory serves me correct you bought the 68 - 70 seat cover set. The first photo at our part number is a straight on shot of that year
Look here:
www.datsunparts.com/1121

I may have a higher res photo on the other computer. Just ask,

Dean

bakerjf wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:02 pm So, an accurate reproduction would have a tuck in both the seat and seatback cushions. Do the new cushions support this? Can the older seat covers sold by Dean (five years back) be placed over the new cushions to achieve this look?
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Looks like there is a rod in the foam in the back cushion, but not the butt cushion. So...I’m guessing one can’t achieve the factory “tuck” using that cushion?
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
mgmoreau
Roadster Nut

Post by mgmoreau »

bakerjf wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:31 pm Looks like there is a rod in the foam in the back cushion, but not the butt cushion. So...I’m guessing one can’t achieve the factory “tuck” using that cushion?
The cushions are at the shop but I seem to recall they have a slots in the front of them for these metal rods put there are no rods in them.

Thanks for the feedback.
mgmoreau
Roadster Nut

Post by mgmoreau »

[quote=Datsunparts.comInc post_id=297551 time=1568064244 user_id=3098]
[quote=mgmoreau post_id=297451 time=1567820494 user_id=3154]
Does anyone have picture of Deans seats covers over his new foam cushions that looks straight at the seats? I bought everything from Dean but I am having the seats and my new vinyl top installed by an auto upholstery shop. I want to print some good pictures that shows how pleats in the seats should look using the steel rods.

Thanks,
Marc

Marc, If memory serves me correct you bought the 68 - 70 seat cover set. The first photo at our part number is a straight on shot of that year
Look here:
www.datsunparts.com/1121

I may have a higher res photo on the other computer. Just ask,

Dean

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the response. Would you mind sending me the higher resolution photo of the seat?

Marc
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Sorry all my photos were made smaller for web-site use. This is the best I can do.

D-
1121 SEAT FOAM VINYL COVERED FRONT.jpg
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Left hand and right hand can be purchased individually now. Dean