Suspension Bushings

Put part numbers and suppliers here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Shamus980
Site Supporter

Suspension Bushings

Post by Shamus980 »

Hello all...., does anyone have any experience with suspension bushings? Should I attempt to find polyurethane bushings like Energy Suspension? or stick to the rubber like Dean offers @ Datsunparts? Any suggestions on which direction to go? In addition, does anyone have experience with those ball joints (both upper & lower) that Dean offers? The ones that are aftermarket made in America? Not sure if that's made in USA or somewhere on this continent? I hear good reviews on them. I'm just doing research and gathering parts for the next phase of the restoration beginning this fall.

Thanks.., Shamus
Shamus980

1969 SRL Solex (Summer Driver)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Suspension Bushings

Post by Linda »

Parts Interchange has all part numbers for Energy Suspension bushings.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Roadster Fanatic

Post by #009 »

I purchased the upper and lower ball joints from Dean couple of years ago and have not had any problems. I also replaced all my shock bushings with the Energy Suspension from Summit Racing (link below) and haven't run into any issues as well. I believe Will replaced all his bushings w/ Energy Suspension and have raced the car w/ no issues. He might be able to provide you w/ a better feedback. Overall no complains from my side.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-8101r
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Solex68 »

I haven't changed mine out yet, it's on the to-do list but on other vehicles I had, the urethane ones got squeaky and only constant lubing made them quiet. It may have a one time thing with that brand but it does make me leery about buying urethane bushings again. Has anyone had the same experience? If the urethane ones don't squeak, I'd try em again.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: All steering components, Stan Stealth Dizzy
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

"the urethane ones got squeaky and only constant lubing made them quiet."

I'll second that, but it was on a much heavier car, don't know if that makes a difference
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by greydog »

I have Urethane bushings on my 300. Everything but the rear diff bushings and have never heard a squeak.
When I assembled the parts, I made sure to clean all the metal very well and painted (etch primer, then two coats semi gloss black is pretty much my standard) it all. I used the provided grease and made sure both the metal surfaces and the urethane contact areas were evenly and liberally coated.
No squeaks.
There aren't many bushings on the roadsters are there? Lots of grease/joint covers but I don't remember bushings other than the sway bar.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

bossbob wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:56 pm "the urethane ones got squeaky and only constant lubing made them quiet."

I'll second that, but it was on a much heavier car, don't know if that makes a difference
Yeah. Mine experience was on two different trucks. One it started, it was constant lubing and no one lube seemed to quiet them down for long.
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

Shamus980 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:10 pm Hello all...., does anyone have any experience with suspension bushings? Should I attempt to find polyurethane bushings like Energy Suspension? or stick to the rubber like Dean offers @ Datsunparts? Any suggestions on which direction to go? In addition, does anyone have experience with those ball joints (both upper & lower) that Dean offers? The ones that are aftermarket made in America? Not sure if that's made in USA or somewhere on this continent? I hear good reviews on them. I'm just doing research and gathering parts for the next phase of the restoration beginning this fall.

Thanks.., Shamus

Shamus, The suspension urethane bushings & pads I sell for the rear leafs are made from proprietary molds that were developed nearly 3 decades ago that I sold to Nissan Motorsports. I also sell the shock bushing set, but not the ones being offered by Summit. The ones I sell have a small round boss that indexes and fits into the hole in the front and rear suspension shock plates.
I have the grease to use with the urethane parts available as well.

www.datsunparts.com/1580

www.datsunparts.com/1813

www.datsunparts.com/1812

www.datsunparts.com/1579

www.datsunparts.com/2419

Other urethane parts here

www.datsunparts.com/Suspension

www.datsunparts.com/Steering

Thanks for looking,

Dean
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
grdubois369
Roadster Nut

Post by grdubois369 »

Shamus,
I used to work for Energy (Dean placed many bushing orders through me). If not greased correctly, they will squeak, and even when greased correctly they can start to squeak over time. Energy has Black bushings that have graphite in them and this helps keep the squeaks away. We put leaf springs bushings on my Dads 54 Ford Crestline Convertible, he really liked the way the kept the rear axle from moving side to side. Also prototyped leaf spring bushings for my XEV6 King Cab and it was night and day.
I would put up with the squeaks, its just telling you that the bushings are working. I currently have Energy greaseable sway bar bushings and shock mount bushings on my Roadster.
Gerry Dubois
67 L18 powered 1600
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

grdubois369 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:06 pm Shamus,
I used to work for Energy (Dean placed many bushing orders through me). If not greased correctly, they will squeak, and even when greased correctly they can start to squeak over time. Energy has Black bushings that have graphite in them and this helps keep the squeaks away. We put leaf springs bushings on my Dads 54 Ford Crestline Convertible, he really liked the way the kept the rear axle from moving side to side. Also prototyped leaf spring bushings for my XEV6 King Cab and it was night and day.
I would put up with the squeaks, its just telling you that the bushings are working. I currently have Energy greaseable sway bar bushings and shock mount bushings on my Roadster.
What is the best grease to use on the Energy bushing. I had the squeaks drive me crazy on my trucks when I used them. I do have a new set of Nissan rubber ones on hand. I am on the fence which way to go. If there is a good grease that can keep them quiet for a long while then I would move too Energy bushings. What would that grease type be?
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Shamus980
Site Supporter

Post by Shamus980 »

Thanks Gerry.., good to know. I begin the suspension rebuild phase at the end of this September. I have gathered many of the important components and searching for the detailed ones such as the bushings and hardware. I appreciate the assistance. BTW, since you were employed with Energy, it would be a great help to know which part #s fit the roadster. I have a 69. Only if you recall... :D :smt005 Sometimes, I get a bit stir crazy and I lose myself in my research. I forget to write certain part #s down and then I have to do it all over. :smt003
Shamus980

1969 SRL Solex (Summer Driver)
grdubois369
Roadster Nut

Post by grdubois369 »

Solex68 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 pm
grdubois369 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:06 pm
What is the best grease to use on the Energy bushing. I had the squeaks drive me crazy on my trucks when I used them. I do have a new set of Nissan rubber ones on hand. I am on the fence which way to go. If there is a good grease that can keep them quiet for a long while then I would move too Energy bushings. What would that grease type be?
The grease Energy sells is the best, and the only thing I ever found to get it off your fingers is Kleenex, which is appropriate since its nickname is snot.
Gerry Dubois
67 L18 powered 1600
grdubois369
Roadster Nut

Post by grdubois369 »

Shamus980 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:22 am Thanks Gerry.., good to know. I begin the suspension rebuild phase at the end of this September. I have gathered many of the important components and searching for the detailed ones such as the bushings and hardware. I appreciate the assistance. BTW, since you were employed with Energy, it would be a great help to know which part #s fit the roadster. I have a 69. Only if you recall... :D :smt005 Sometimes, I get a bit stir crazy and I lose myself in my research. I forget to write certain part #s down and then I have to do it all over. :smt003
Linda mentioned something about a cross reference in the wiki, I have not looked at that myself yet. Dean's parts are proprietary since he paid to have the R and D done on them, and therefore they are not sold or listed.
Gerry Dubois
67 L18 powered 1600