Grounding questions. please help

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Grounding questions. please help

Post by Datsundude »

Hi all,
I’m getting close finish installing the motor (R16) in my car but I came across an issue, this issue is regarding one of the two main grounding…
One on the battery side and the other is on the starter to frame, right? According to 311 technical info.

The thing that confused me is on the starter grounding to the frame. The cable harness coming out from the firewall next to the clutch mater cylinder, first two cables branch off from the wire harness is one with 6 pins female connector and second one is I believed black/white color cable both cables connected to the start just fine, which I already connected to the starter.
My question is if both connecting terminal on the starter is already connected to wire harness, where am I suppose to connect a ground cable from the starter to frame? Or perhaps there is a third terminal on the starter end that I was not aware of that need connect to the frame.

there is a cable about 6 to 8 inches long I found in the engine bay on one end it seem to attach to frame and the other it seem to attach to alternator or perhaps starter, I don’t know. Can anyone please tell me if this cable attach from starter to frame or alternator to frame?

car info
1969 1600.
relocating alternator to passenger side.

Anyone please help
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

That cable.. should have a connecter with a hole in it. You undo a bolt on the starter that bolts to the trans and pass that bolt through the hole of that cable and bolt the bolt back into its location to the starter/trans. Then you grab the other and and look on the frame there should be a 10mm bolt on the frame or at least a whole very close to the starter to where that side of the cable should bolt down on. Make sure those connections are clean. I toasted my accelerator cable because they were not making good contact. Also what is very reccomended is a ground from the alternator bracket(on pass side) to the frame. And the Neg side of the battery to the frame. I hope this makes sense and can help.
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

Here is the picture of my motor from the album.
http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=64

The orange cable is the ground cable which is held in place by the starter mount to transmission bolt.
The other end hiding behind the exhaust, bolts to the frame.

Hope this helps.
Ray B.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

thanks for responding to my questions.
So what I already have connected to the starter is correct, wire harness to starter and now I need to attach a cable from starter body to frame, right?

as I mention earlier about a small cable I found, both end has what you would call it connector with whole in the center. thats the one I found next to the alternator that I dont know where it should hook up too. so from your recommendation about grounding the alternator to frame, I believed thats the cable was used to attach alternator to frame.
if anyone know what I'm talking about and know I'm wrong please correct me.
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by itsa68 »

Datsundude:
On my 68, the alternator is on the passenger side.
The battery negative ground cable that goes from the frame on that side of the car also has a branch wire which goes to the alternator casting ground bolt.

Maybe thats the other wire you have found?

Alving:
Yes I have other pics...........but I just can't ever find them when I need them.

Ray B.
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by Conner »

Ray--
I'm planning to detail my engine before re-installing it. Could you (maybe in a new post) describe the steps and products you used to clean-up and detail your engine and transmission? It looks really nice.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

My 69 has a ground wire from the alternator body to the frame, looks like original harness. If you want GREAT cable, go to yout local marine supply store and get marine grade 2 gauge battery cable and ends. The big stores will crimp it for free if you know the length, or it's easy to solder yourself. It is super fine strand tinned copper and very flexible. A little heat shrink where the cable meets the cable end covers up where you melted the insulation with the torch when soldering too.

I ran the negative cable from the battery to the engine block on the pass side, and from the same bolt on the engine to the frame on the pass side.
Then a short cable from the starter bolt to the frame. There is also a 10 gauge wire from the negative battery terminal to the body sheetmetal and most of my accessory grounds, fan relay, light relays etc are from the same point.

Also make sure the spot on the frame where you are grounding is clean to bare metal and use a star washer to get some bite on the connector.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

OK the starter is done deal, you guys have explained all in good detail. Thanks

Now let’s go to alternator. There are two terminal connectors on the alternator, right? One is 4 pins male connector and the second one is screw in bolt.
So now what I had these two terminal already connected is from the wire harness 4 pins female connector and the other one is black cable, addiction to that I need to connect another ground cable from the alternator bracket to the frame, right? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks all for the help
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

On the alternator there should be that plug with 4 prongs, which you said you already connected. The black cable should be grounded to the frame as well, but there should also be a post with a nut on the back of the alternator, removed that nut and bolt on the white cable that should be on the other side if you moved it. Im assuming you already have extended the wires correct?
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Hey Joaquin thanks for the help this is exactly what I have now and thanks all for the input that really help a lot.
Now I feel much more comfortable when fire up the motor however there still few more things I need to hook up hose, brake line and clutch.
Again thanks all for the help

One of these day I will get a digital camera and post some pic. I spend all my all monthly allowance on roadster parts. :cry:
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Anytime! Glad I could help. I thought I was the only one who saved allowance for the roadster! I know exactly what your going through.... I went through the same! And im sure alot of roadster owners have too.
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

It is embarrassing to say, the fund for the roadster coming from my monthly allowance and the money saved by not hanging out with my boys (stay home baby sitting) and money saved up by bring lunch to work most of the time. Joaquin you will understand this when you have a child and a family.
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Wife says, if I obey her command and be a good boy from now on to Christmas she will allow me to have the roadster painted as a Christmas gift. Oh joy
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I bring lunch too and drive my truck on almost bald tires. My wife MADE me drive 3 hours out to Pennsylvania to get a set of 5 slots because she didn't like any of the three other sets of wheels I have for the car!
I treasure those rare moments.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit