Atlas Spring and Axel

You can let the rest of us know about a bad or a good experience you had. Please stick to the facts and keep your emotions/feelings in check regarding shame. This is a sensitive topic and will be monitored.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Atlas Spring and Axel

Post by zetec311 »

Its started one direction and changed 180’
awaiting response from flex-form
baxtersit
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by baxtersit »

I just installed a pair of Flex forms three days ago after a 6 month wait and many phone calls and delays from Mark. Great product but poor customer service. I did have to shave the width of the front bushings about 1/8th of an inch for the front mount to fit but an angle grinder solved that. Much lighter. I'm guessing 1/3 the weight and ordered stock spring rate / ride height. They're spot on. I already had JT68 Bilsteins which helped tame the rear axle over the KYBs and I'd say the Flex Forms improved the ride about 10-15%. They're not earth shattering but a nice improvement. The set of shocks have been the largest step in making the Roadster handle and behave over bumps the most.
2019 VW Allroad 6 sp
1966 Datsun Roadster stroker
1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300TI
2021 Ducati 950S
1883 Honda VF750F Interceptor
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

They must have modified the front mount to allow for the Roadster bushing or are now supplying their own (?). Mine had to be honed to allow the bushings to fit inside the mount. Glad you finally got them, and that you have the Bs... they were the key for us.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

After waiting a few days to reply, i decided to call flexform. I spoke with Mark about my inquiry to group pricing. He required a a group quantity of 8 sets over 6 months time, meaning he didnt require all items purchased at once. The discounted rate of $405 over the retail price of 435$. ~$30 discount~

Well.. 30$ is 30$, not quite as good pricing as prior group pricing. Maybe somebody else “more firm” can make a better inquiry? He is going to follow up with an email showing the proposal.

Not sure where to go from here.. any suggestions?
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by ppeters914 »

baxtersit wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:39 am I just installed a pair of Flex forms three days ago after a 6 month wait and many phone calls and delays from Mark. Great product but poor customer service. I did have to shave the width of the front bushings about 1/8th of an inch for the front mount to fit but an angle grinder solved that. Much lighter. I'm guessing 1/3 the weight and ordered stock spring rate / ride height. They're spot on. I already had JT68 Bilsteins which helped tame the rear axle over the KYBs and I'd say the Flex Forms improved the ride about 10-15%. They're not earth shattering but a nice improvement. The set of shocks have been the largest step in making the Roadster handle and behave over bumps the most.
How much would you say the Bilsteins helped?
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
baxtersit
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000

Post by baxtersit »

The Bilsteins helped the ride more than you might think. I live in NE Ohio so the roads are challenging in a negative way. I had the KYBs on for over a year and there was a manhole cover on the way home that if I hit would send the front end into a shudder. Steering wheel would shake about. The Bilsteins eliminated that and I've always felt the back axle was jumping about uncontrolled and they also reduced that sensation. Not totally but helped. As far as the Flexforms go, the composite springs are much lighter and you have to consider that the stock springs are similar to what's on a small boat trailer. After driving more and thinking about it, Flexforms less than 10% and Bilsteins a solid 20% improvement.
2019 VW Allroad 6 sp
1966 Datsun Roadster stroker
1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300TI
2021 Ducati 950S
1883 Honda VF750F Interceptor
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

makes me kind of reconsider the investment.. FF springs $405 + shipping and related parts, the B’s were $430 a pair on the website. Maybe close to 1K for 30% net improvement (subjective) on non-bolt on parts. Others have raved about the positve improvement.

On the fence here... I will still forward the Group Buy info I gathered.
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

Update: Just to confirm prices on Re-arching:

Deaver Spring and Axel in Santa Ana quoted me $175 ball park figure for the service of re-arching the springs.

Quoted as off car, no leaf springs added. costs more for extra leafs added, heat tempering not required if arched to orginal OEM height, If the height is changed in any way.. heat tempering reccomended to hold its new shape... at addt cost.

Once again.. i felt Atlas Springs was taking me for a ride and this “soft” quote kind of confirms it. about three times as expensive
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

Another another update...

Long Beach Spring (part of CW industries)in Long Beach California quoted me $150 for re-arching.

I had considered buying a harbor freight hydrolic press to do it myself then selling it to recover costs to net zero. but at $150.. makes me re consider the trouble and time.
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

redroadster wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:33 pm Jc whitney still has some 610 pu helper leaf that work $30
i got a set n bolted them in.. was really easy to do. Ordered online from Pepboys, picked up in store @ 25% off.. $33. Ride was stiffer, noticibly smoother. About halfway home from Pete’s they bottomed out over a bump.

Overnight.. i looked at the instructions again, they were bolted up-side-down. Just goes to show you.. never hold instruction sheets upside down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

And I thought only GUYS never read instructions - lol
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

another update:

went to Long Beach Springs... its a metals fabrication center, different services in each area. Springs were re-arched, cleaned and painted for $100!!!! (was quoted $150 on the phone)

It took less than 2hrs for the service. so far so good, very pleased with the price. I seems if you change the spring height, the spring require the tempering treatment to erase the memory. Otherwise the spring will revert.. since its OEM height, the memory didnt need to be reset. We will see after a few years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

mraitch wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:18 pm And I thought only GUYS never read instructions - lol
instruction AND directions.. hehe