How do you clean an ITG air filter?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Roadster-Boy
Roadster Nut

How do you clean an ITG air filter?

Post by Roadster-Boy »

Hi All --

What's the best way to clean a re-usable ITG (sponge) air filter? Thanks in advance!

-- Geoff
Third gear ROCKS!!
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

Fill a bucket with warm water and mild dishsoap. Soak and gently squeeze until clean. Rinse with clean water. Dry by hanging. But not in full sun. Under no circumstance use solvents.
SER240Z
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SER240Z »

I've got a question, how are you suppose to get the filter off. I have the ITG that covers both Solex's, but I can't seem to get the filter off with the engine in the car. Is there any way to dismantle the frame while it's on the carbs?

Thanks
Scott
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

Can't help you. Ive got SU's.
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

You need to squish it together a little bit. Undo the latches, and push it down to disingauge the bottom lip, then squish it together and lift it out. Its easier to remove an ITG than it is to remove the original stock airfilter cover and housing. Be gentle and its really easy.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
SER240Z
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SER240Z »

SLOroadster wrote:You need to squish it together a little bit. Undo the latches, and push it down to disingauge the bottom lip, then squish it together and lift it out. Its easier to remove an ITG than it is to remove the original stock airfilter cover and housing. Be gentle and its really easy.

Will
Wont this damage the plastic frame that is keeping the filter in it's current shape?

Scott
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

It hasn't done anything to mine. I generially grab the ends and gently compress it together.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!