Datsun Badges. How do you keep them on?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

sworxx

Datsun Badges. How do you keep them on?

Post by sworxx »

Anyone know what exactly holds the badges on the car? When I bought my car it was de-badged, I wanted to put on new badges, but need to know what attaches to the badge pins. Anyone know what they look like, what they're called and where I can get them? Thanks.
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Datsun Badges

Post by S Allen »

There are suppose to be some little metal clips that hold them in place. You can get the clips from Nissan still but a better alternative is to buy some clear plastic tubing the correct size and use it to hold the badges on. Cut some small lengths and press them onto the pin sticking throught the body. The nice thing about the plastic tubing is it is easy to remove the badges if you have to. Also the tubing if the proper size holds very well. The little metal clips and plastic pins on the badges usually spells breakage of the plastic pin.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
sworxx

Post by sworxx »

You mean like fish tank tubing or fuel line? Will that really hold that well?
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:Datsun Badges

Post by S Allen »

The exact size escapes me right now but you should be able to go to any good hardware store and purchase the correct size. Take an emblem with you. You want it to push on with a bit of effort. It is the clear plastic tubing. And yes-it holds very well.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Clips

Post by SLOroadster »

Napa or perhaps your local hardware store should have some spring loaded rectagular clips that work really well. They are fairly common and come in different sizes.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
drewnamis
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Datsun Badges. How do you keep them on?

Post by drewnamis »

How do you get them off?
EScanlon

Post by EScanlon »

That depends on which type you have holding the emblem pins.

If it's the "stamped" nut formed from sheet metal, use a socket or wrench. These "screw" onto the pins and come off the same way. On my two Roadsters, this is how the emblems were held on.

If it's the Barrel clip (these are a hollow barrel framework that fit into the hole in the sheet metal that the pin then is inserted through), gently slide a scraper or flat bar underneath the emblem and gently pry the emblem up and off the barrel clip. You may have to work your way from one clip to the next, going from one end of the emblem to the other before you start seeing the emblem come off. I've not seen these on the Roadster, but have seen them on the Z's.

If it's a speed nut (these are little pieces of sheet metal with prongs on the sides of a hole), then you need to remove these from the back of the fender/body part that the emblem is attached to. I've discovered these holding the silver trim on the low windshield dash onto the dash itself. The best way I found to remove these is to pry back the prongs that bite into the pins with a dental pic, then removing the speed nut.

The use of silicone tubing is an excellent idea for those emblems that you want to remove easily. The D-A-T-S-U-N letters on the hood are a perfect example of this. I found that R/C fuel tubing for Nitro in silicone works best. It stays soft and pliant for months as opposed to some other clear pvc tubing that will harden over time.

Hope this helps
E
drewnamis
Roadster Fanatic

Post by drewnamis »

it's like a bent piece of metal with a hole in it. Prying seems scary, I've been hesitant to.
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

it's like a bent piece of metal with a hole in it. Prying seems scary, I've been hesitant to.
If you can grip the non contacting edges of the clip squarely with the jaw grooves of a small pair of pliers, put a slight constant amount of straight up pull on the clip and carefully rotate the clip straight off the pin at the same time (with a very slight tilt as to not put side pressure on the pin to prevent breaking it off).
The clip should come off as if you were taking off a nut.

The clip hole should cut a thread onto the pin as you are and turning it off with a pulling pressure.

When re-installing the badging, you can turn on the clip like a nut or use tubing as recommended in the above posts.

I usually turn on the bent clip using slight pressure to cut some threads into the new badge pins prior to their installation. This allows me to remove them as I've described above.

If can you make a test clip, push install it against the face of a washer which is positioned on a cotter pin (held in a vise) to simulate badge installation to a car panel.
Try removing the clip as I've described above to see if you are comfortable and confident with the method.

Hope that helps.

Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
111jag
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 111jag »

What size subbing tubing works best for the emblems? 6mmx8mm or there are bunch of other sizes? Want to know which one to order.
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

I use 3/32’s rubber vacuum tube as I recall. Take an emblem to the auto parts store and find a rubber tube that fits snug.
Dave
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by DAC21 »

Here is an old thread on the issue.

viewtopic.php?t=19018
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

I bought clear fuel hose for R/C engines at a hobby shop. Works great.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I would recommend the silicone model airplane fuel tubing. The rubber vacuum tubing will age harden, while the silicone typically does not. Tygon would be good as well, it is usually available at Ace hardware by the foot. A foot would be gracious plenty for most vehicles
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

spl310 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:49 am I would recommend the silicone model airplane fuel tubing. The rubber vacuum tubing will age harden, while the silicone typically does not. Tygon would be good as well, it is usually available at Ace hardware by the foot. A foot would be gracious plenty for most vehicles
+1 on this method. Use the silicone model airplane fuel tubing.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy