Moderators: notoptoy, garth, S Allen
- Forum Newb
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 7:17 am
1) Will my amp meter in my dash still work after the GM swap? I was a bit confused about the voltage meter option mentioned at the end of the article.
2) There was also the mention of a 16 gauge fuseable link in the second to last section of the article. It wasn't mentioned in the parts that are needed to be purchased.
If someone could explain my above concerns, I would be grateful. My Roadster has been off the road for almost 10 years. I am getting really close to driving her again. Thanks in advance.
- Posts: 633
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:59 pm
- Location: Bellingham, Washington
Read up on the denso alternator thread for some more advice on fuse protection
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
- Roadster Fanatic
- Posts: 105
- Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:10 am
- Location: Denver, CO
So you would put a new positive wire on the alternator with an inline 30-40amp fuse, and splice that to the original positive wire (that would go on the positive stud on the original alternator) and you need to bridge the sensor wire to the positive stud as well. at this point, the connector (4 wires on a 68) and external regulator are useless. you can take them out or leave them in for looks (like i did) but the rest of the circuit will work as normal including the amp meter. At this point you can call it good or switch to a volt meter, but its not necessary.
2005 Honda S2000
1968 Datsun 1600
- Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
- Posts: 2914
- Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:51 pm
- Location: Lake Forest Park, WA (just north of Seattle)
- Model: 1500/1600
- Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5
- Fuse is mounted where external voltage regulator used to mount.
- One wire is connected to the heavy white wire that goes to the ammeter. The shorter one goes to the BAT post on the alternator.
'67 1600 - frame off in progress
'66 1600 - parts car or future engine swap
A couple of Porsches, a pickup, and a motorcycle
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 2358
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:49 pm
- Location: Des Moines, WA
https://www.delcity.net/store/12V-Auto- ... gKtAvD_BwE
67 basket case, the renewal has begun.