Matt's KA24DE Swap

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mattanonymous
Site Supporter

Matt's KA24DE Swap

Post by mattanonymous »

A little background, I'm a 32 year old software engineer residing in MD and have loved Datsuns for as long as I can remember; namely Zs and Roadsters. The Roadster is my first Datsun, but I did own a 240sx back in the day (I miss it so much!) Last year, I was searching CL for 'Datsun', as I'd do every once in a while, and came across a beautiful 1600 with a frame-up restoration, but a seized motor. No worries, I planned on swapping anyway (not knowing how involved it'd be).
20170913_174706.jpg
20170913_181217.jpg

Knowing myself, I've decided to go with one of the more straightforward swaps in hopes that the fun doesn't run out before the project is complete. I recently bought a 'rebuilt' KA24DE and am trying to get the swap done by September for a road trip with some friends who will have their own old vehicles.

The plan:
  • Start the engine out of the car to make sure everything is good
  • Pray this isn't the step where I have to rebuild the 'rebuilt' motor
  • Clean up the engine, remove unnecessary bits
  • Install an electric hoist in the garage for easy body removal and reinstallation as I make trial and error changes
  • Check the status of all body/frame components since nothing should be assumed
  • Transmission and motor mounts fabrication
  • Install motor/trans, wiring, plumbing, accelerator pedal
  • Get fuel to the engine: clean out old tank, modify for EFI, and run a high pressure line to the engine bay
  • All of the stuff I'm forgetting
  • Start her up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Matt's KA24DE Swap

Post by greydog »

Looks like a good start Matt.
Completion by September is ambitious but certainly doable. It'll depend on how much time you can/will devote to the project.
Since the swap itself has it's own set of issues (fuel delivery, instrumentation, etc) you're wise to verify that all else is working.
YHour first 4 items don't really involve the car so why not pick up a running 1600 and slap it in the car. That way you can drive it a bit and verify the braking and electrical systems to be in good shape. It's difficult to spot a grabbing brake or loose headlight connection.
Then when you swap the KA in, you'll have fewer issues to deal with. And, of course, you'll have the car to drive for a little while.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Welcome, good luck with the project, keep us up to speed with pictures and progress reports!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
SABLT194
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SABLT194 »

Matt,

I see you have the title "Engineer" . Typically that means that, as you proceed through your project, you will find numerous hidden issues that will drive you crazy. Scope creep will kick in and your project may take quite a bit longer. Don't ask me how I know :)

Regards,
Steve
1966 1600 SR20 DET Restomod
1969 Ford Thunderchicken 429 BBF Suicide Door Car
1994 Pontiac Formula - 355 M6 435 RWHP 11.54 @ 125 MPH
1971 Dodge Dart - Next Resto Mod Project Gen 3 392 Hemi with T56
2017 Ram 1500 Daily Driver
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Mattk »

SABLT194 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:04 pm your project may take quite a bit longer. Don't ask me how I know :)
Steve
I bet I know how you know!😂

Matt,
Looking forward to seeing your build!

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
mattanonymous
Site Supporter

Post by mattanonymous »

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'll be sure to post as I go.

SABLT194 that explains perfectly why I'm in year 2 of finishing my basement!

greydog that's a good point. I'd rather not spend the money on another motor, but I might be able to come up with a safe way to tow it around the neighborhood to get a feel for the condition of the car as a whole.

Matthew your build helped to inspire this one. Thanks for all the pics so far!
SABLT194
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SABLT194 »

Matt,

If your interested, I have a 1600 motor sitting in my shop that I will gladly let you borrow for a while. You would need to swap all of your accessories, intake, and exhaust. It did run but is certainly pretty tired as I recall.

Regards,
Steve
1966 1600 SR20 DET Restomod
1969 Ford Thunderchicken 429 BBF Suicide Door Car
1994 Pontiac Formula - 355 M6 435 RWHP 11.54 @ 125 MPH
1971 Dodge Dart - Next Resto Mod Project Gen 3 392 Hemi with T56
2017 Ram 1500 Daily Driver
mattanonymous
Site Supporter

Post by mattanonymous »

That's awesome Steve! I'll keep that in mind!
greydog

Post by greydog »

Man, ya gotta love the people on this site.
Where else will you see an offer to loan an engine?
Very cool!

Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
mattanonymous
Site Supporter

Post by mattanonymous »

Picked up the steel stock for the transmission mount, motor mounts, door braces, and electric hoist. The S14 headers I ordered came in. I ordered them because my motor didn't come with an exhaust manifold and I couldn't find one locally, plus it will really dress things up. I plan on modifying them if needed. At $51 shipped, I figure it's worth a shot.
20180520_085200.jpg

Now that all the positive stuff is out of the way, I'm trying to think of the best way to tackle the gas tank. It looks like some sort of sealant/liner was used on it previously and it's not in the best shape. I'd like to remove it and possibly apply a new coating.
20180508_171247.jpg

My questions are:
- Does this look like it's just a previous coating?
- Any tips on removing it? (I'm thinking of cutting a large section out of the top of the tank so I can really get in there and then welding it back on after installing the pump and sending unit)
- Any suggestions on a product to seal it after I'm done?

Thanks,
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Hmm, well, you could take it to a tank coating business, and see if they know what it is from the color/texture. Now depending on how ethical they are, they might tell you anything but their newest product is sub-standard and needs to be removed.
These are called "sloshing compounds" (or at least I heard them referred to this way), and is common in motorcycle tanks because people let them sit a lot. With bikes they put a chain in and have it remove the scale, but we cannot do that because of the baffles, so you will never get your chain back!)
So you might try this:
add a gallon or two to the tank.
Have a friend help you slosh it all around, then tip it up and drain into a pan.
If nothing comes out other than the gas, go with it.
Oh yeah, you are going EFI, so may need to cut the tank anyway....
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

This place does it for you with a lifetime warranty, fixing any holes too.
www.gastankrenu.com
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Mattk »

Here my two pennies. First and foremost get it boiled out before you put any fiery stuff near it. Can’t empathize this enough!! Most likely the radiator shop you take it to will offer lining it for you. Mine did and is going to after I finish the mods to it. They, if they are a good shop, will offer to weld it for you and that’s not a bad idea. Gas leaks bad:
85BA8973-A830-41ED-A780-B5676D7569D3.jpeg
This Miata had a small leak. Fortunately all that happened is the driver and passenger got to watch it burn.

Looks like you’re making some good progress!!

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
mattanonymous
Site Supporter

Post by mattanonymous »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm working on tracking down a shop that will do that work. I put in a call to the local gastankrenu affiliate, but haven't heard back. Will try again today.

Edit: Called and they estimated $600 hahahahaha. I'll call a few other places. I've been cleaning the tank out with soap and water and have flame tested it, so worst case I'll just do it myself. The tank itself looks to be in really good shape other than the liner, so I don't think I have holes or rust to worry about. I'll pressure test when done to make sure I won't end up like that Miata owner.
Cyclewrks
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Cyclewrks »

I had a similar "coating" in my tank, turned out to be lead and additives that had deposited themselves on the interior of the tank. I dropped about 3 feet of bicycle chain (it is small enough to slide under the inner baffles in the tank so you can hit everywhere inside) and shook it around for an hour or so to break stuff up. I had the shop vac attached to the fuel inlet sucking out everything as it came loose. inside of the tank looked great when I was done and have had zero issues since.
"Life is not a journey to the grave intent to arrive safely in a pretty, well preserved body-but rather arriving in a broadside skid, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Damn, what a friggin ride!"- Anon
'70 1600