BRAKE LINE LEAK

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Dave:

First of all, thanks for your always helpful input! :D Now, how did you free the piston when this happened to you?

Jorge
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Just took it apart, piston was stuck in bottom of bore, so used a little force, put pile of rags on the bench and slammed master cyl down on to it until it came free. There is a spring and a ball ended rod between the two piston halves. The ball/socket is what bound up Just cleaned everything, wiggled and twisted to make sure it wouldn't bind and put it back together.

So far is working.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Dave:

My symptoms are exactly the same u described happened to you and to Joaquin....I guess I will take the whole thing apart this weekend then.

Now, I read someone's posting talking about some chemical I should use to flush clean the lines...what is it?

And am I supposed to do anything else (besides bleeding them) to the front calipers and rear cylinders?

Jorge
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I've heard of flushing with alcohol, I don't know what type, denatured is my guess, before changing to DOT 5 silicone fluid. You can also just flush it with clean brake fluid. One advantage of silicone is it supposedly won't harm paint as badly as standard fluid, but I never tried it myself.

Also, don't use anything except brake fluid or brake cleaner on the hydraulics, anything with petrolium base, WD40 etc will destroy the rubber seals. If you need to use it, remove the rubber parts, then flush with brake cleaner thoroughly before reassembly.

I'm ordering a master cyl this week, tired of screwing around.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit