Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dads311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

racking my brain

Post by dads311 »

Brief history. 67.5 was my dads years ago, got it back and restoring it. PO used hacksaw and garden shears to remove wiring but he saved all the pieces???
Current problem I hope someone can confirm my diagnosis. Wiper motor works perfect, 2 speed with park. Washer didn't work. Pulled the schematic back out compared my wiring, slapped myself a couple times, fixed it so it should work. nope. with key on I get power to the washer motor, if I ground the wire it sprays like crazy. If I hook it back up to go to the switch nothing. Wire from washer to switch tests good with ohm meter.
In the picture next to the A is where the ground wire for the washer comes in. Using the ohm meter I can not find where that would ground or connect when I turn the knob. With the wire just dangling in the engine compartment the wipers still work perfect. I suspect my switch is bad. I can hear and feel things moving when I turn it but I get no connection anywhere. Does a bad switch sound right?
I have this and the back up lights to fix and I think all of my gremlins will be taken care of. I did install and ezwire 12 fuse harness but spent considerable time piecing all of the original wiring back together just to be sure what powered what. I have been sick for 2 weeks and felt good enough to go out and work on it today, maybe I shouldn't have. Anyway let me know if I forgot to check something or if my conclusion is correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dads311 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
datsun1500
Roadsteraholic

Re: racking my brain

Post by datsun1500 »

Screw the switch to the dash and see what happens. I’m pretty sure it grounds that way. Easy test would be just touching the switch casing to the dash.
I remember when no one wanted the 1500s......
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

You can bend the tabs up to see the swt operation
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
boxcar
Roadster Nut

Post by boxcar »

I'm pretty sure everything ( switches ) grounds through the dash. Ground the switch body as a test.
dads311

Post by dads311 »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I checked using the ohm meter with the positive lead on the connection at A in the picture and the negative on the case. Nada, nothing. I assumed and your suggestions seem to confirm it grounded through the case. I then thought it might , for some unknown reason, go through the switch all the way back to the wiper motor, can't find a connection anywhere for that either. I guess if I open the switch I will figure out what it is supposed to do and then the way my luck runs with this car I will order a new switch cause I'll never get it back together in operational condition. But I will know what it is supposed to do. lol
Thanks again
Mike
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
dads311

Post by dads311 »

Fixed it!! inside the switch there is a piece of metal that moves when the switch it turned to initiate the washer. It has contacts on it like a voltage regulator. It was fried completely black making no contact. Emery cloth cleaned it right up. Interestingly enough when it makes contact it sends the ground signal all the way down to the wiper motor.
The first picture shows the little spring loaded cog that moves the little piece of metal at the top of thesecond picture. This makes a connection with the ground wire back to the wiper motor. I took everything apart, cleaned it as best I could, applied a light coat of dielectric grease where appropriate and put it back together. Works like new.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
boxcar
Roadster Nut

Post by boxcar »

Cool beans man. Thanks for the wright up. If I ever have the same problem I will now have a solution.....
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

You Can't do that on cars anymore...that will be $ 80
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11