Shame on me for my impulse buy

You can let the rest of us know about a bad or a good experience you had. Please stick to the facts and keep your emotions/feelings in check regarding shame. This is a sensitive topic and will be monitored.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: Shame on me for my impulse buy

Post by bakerjf »

Good advice to go to Solvang. If you think it’s “weird” to go without a car, count me a wacko. This will be my seventh year, three of them sans car. Still a fun time.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

S Allen wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 am And, I still think the car was over priced but I am a cheap ass.

S
same here... hence why I think they can still be called RoadsterJerks! l :lol:
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

When does anyone ever deal with a car dealer and expect to get the better end of the deal? Not to say anything about that company, I've purchased their products and am happy with what I've received, but I wouldn't expect a great deal on a used car.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

and arent most used car dealers considered jerks?
Simon
Current Cars:
AC77

Post by AC77 »

I suppose so. But that company also deals in Roadster products as well...
Adam C
--
1972 Chevy Luv
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

AC77 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:32 am I suppose so. But that company also deals in Roadster products as well...
Correct, and thats exactly why I feel like thats a jerk move on their part. The car has a hole in the driver floor, is incomplete and they obviously know the difference between a car that needs a little work and a car that needs a LOT of work. This was priced at a level that needs a little work, but it obviously needs a lot more than was advertised.

regardless, I hope the OP can move past the burn and get working on it.
Simon
Current Cars:
AC77

Post by AC77 »

Yep, I hear ya.
Adam C
--
1972 Chevy Luv
Mackn367
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Mackn367 »

Yeah I wish I could post all of the pictures I have but for some reason it is denying the other pictures. Maybe file size of the pictures are too big? But basically imagine everything ripped out of the car and everything falling apart/unattached. Even the locks were removed (trunk lock, door locks, hood latch missing). I believe Michael got this vehicle, took out as many parts as he could for resale on his Ebay account, and then put the car on the market.

Btw let me give an update on the registration. I just got finished with the DMV. LONG story short their is STILL a lien on the car and I now have to contact the bank and have to make sure the loan has been paid off and there is nothing attached to car and I need all of that in a letter and has to be notorized (spell check) which the bank is making me pay of course. Then once I get that I have to go back to the DMV and give them the letter.

I’ll keep updating as I continue this process
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

I have a notary stamp, so if they are charging you for that, dont worry. We can meet up for that.
Simon
Current Cars:
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

dbrick wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 am
Grow up,and stop whining.
Sorry, that part was out of line.

Now that you mention DMV, if someone sold you a car with a lien on it, and a title not in the seller's name, that's a WHOLE different kettle of fish. In this state anyway, that means he did not have clear ownership and should not be able to sell you something he did not own.Was it a business transaction with an invoice from Roadsterwerx or person to person sale? Not sure if you could re-approach the seller about reversing the deal, but if you have decided to keep it, get clear title in hand before investing a cent.

I personally think engine swap is step 2, after you're sure the car runs and drives OK, or for Roadster #2. In Socal, with all the people swapping SR20's you can probably get a running 1600 pretty cheap. Contact Kevin D.
Get it running and driving and put some miles on it, longer it sits not driving more you will dislike working on it. It might be just what you want as is. Then if you want to, engine swap , then paint. Not cheap, about 3-8K each. each
No matter what, go to Solvang, it's a great trip and great people. Dumb as it sounds, put up a sign "wanted 1600 running engine" and your phone number by the registration area, and post it here in the wanted section, bet you get one better than what's in there.
Last edited by dbrick on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

dbrick wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:47 pm
dbrick wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 am
Grow up,and stop whining.
Sorry, that part was out of line.

I personally think engine swap is step 2, after you're sure the car runs and drives OK, or for Roadster #2. In Socal, with all the people swapping SR20's you can probably get a running 1600 pretty cheap. Contact Kevin D.
Get it running and driving and put some miles on it, longer it sits not driving more you will dislike working on it. It might be just what you want as is. Then engine swap if you want to, then paint.
Go to Solvang, it's a great trip and great people. Dumb as it sounds, put up a sign "wanted 1600 running engine" and your phone number by the registration area, bet you get one.
Hey no problem I did feel like I was “whining” too so it’s a valid message. To be straight I was embarrassed for not being smarter with my (and my family’s) purchase and I just needed to vent and let people know. I still don’t think it is “fair” that he was selling that condition car for $5,000 but I bought it and now I have to figure out where to go next. Registration first. Then get it running. Then yes, maybe a swap down the road i don’t know.

I actually am planning on going to Solvang this year with my wife. I highly doubt this red one I bought will be ready for the drive by then but maybe I’ll bring my brother-in-law’s white one that first brought me to this Datsun family haha. Look for me at Solvang! I’ll be the goof not knowing anyone walking around with giant eyes of amazement hahaha.
Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

AC77 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:00 am When does anyone ever deal with a car dealer and expect to get the better end of the deal? Not to say anything about that company, I've purchased their products and am happy with what I've received, but I wouldn't expect a great deal on a used car.
So I saw a few posts about working with a “dealership” and how all used car dealerships are “this that and the other” but it was never purchased as a dealership car and also was not advertised as such. On the bill of sale it has Michael NOT Roadsterwerx. Also as I am the one going to the DMV for registration it is another fact that it is not from a dealership as they do this on their end 99% of the time and is not done by the buyer. The reason I argue this is because when I called him the other day to make a counter offer on taking the car back he even said “well when you go through a dealership expect to pay higher prices”..... no sir, I did not go through a dealership. Show me anywhere on this paperwork it says Roadsterwerx. The car isn’t even in his name. The pink slip is in the original owner’s name from 1970. He never registered the car. He knows what he was doing and is still doing is some shady business. I’m sure people will still buy from “his” store on EBay but I will never. I don’t trust this guy at all. I think someone should go check this guy out and see for yourself. Then you will see I’m not exaggerating this.
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

If it's any comfort, I've bought uglier, and it turned out to be a GREAT car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

dbrick wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:27 pm If it's any comfort, I've bought uglier, and it turned out to be a GREAT car.
Haha thanks but actually I’m upset at the car I bought. I know what I got myself into and I know the potential of these cars. I’m upset at the price I paid for this car without knowing how much higher I was paying for what I was getting.
Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

Mackn367 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:33 pm
dbrick wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:27 pm If it's any comfort, I've bought uglier, and it turned out to be a GREAT car.
Haha thanks but actually I’m *not* upset at the car I bought. I know what I got myself into and I know the potential of these cars. I’m upset at the price I paid for this car without knowing how much higher I was paying for what I was getting.