1964 SPL310 1500 -Sora Blue, 30K Mil - BADROC car back home!

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

1964 SPL310 1500 -Sora Blue, 30K Mil - BADROC car back home!

Post by datsun65 »

Alvin...you requested the info...so here is the scoop.

Thanks to the help of some really great folks on this board, I've recently purchased an incredibly stock, mostly original paint (Sora Blue) 1500 roadster from a suburb of Seattle.

http://groups.msn.com/badroc/dansnewspl ... paint.msnw

It all started off with an email (on the Datsun Roadster list) posted by Sid about a beautiful 1964 3 seater for sale. Originally, Sid initially thought it was the same car as Mike Young's almost identical 1964 1500. But I looked & compared the photos between the two cars and noticed that they were actually two different cars.

Well, during the time spent comparing the two cars, it got me interested enough in speaking with the owner. After several weeks of discussing with the owner, a 311s board member, Leigh Brooks was kind enough to drive out to Maple Valley (suburb of Seattle) and check out the car for me. A HUGE, HUGE THANK YOU TO LEIGH for his help!

After Leigh made his assessment (and took some additional photos) I purchased the car!

Now, Leigh started to uncover some interesting history about the car. He found that under the front WA license plate was rivited the original Black California License Plate. After I spoke with the owner, the story came out about the history of the car.

The car was an original San Francisco Bay Area car. After a NorCal earthquake (presumely the quake in 1989) the car was discovered in a garage in a damaged house in San Francisco. The elderly owner was unable to exit/enter the house, so a younger neighbor was able to climb through a window to get into the house and help out the neighbor. While in the garage, the younger person saw the Fairlady and asked the elderly owner if he'd like to sell. The owner responded that he'd never sell and would take the car with him till the end.

Then, three days later, the older man went to the house of his younger neighbor. He knocked on the door. The younger neighbor opened the door, and the older person said he'd had a change of heart. He wanted to thank the young guy for his help and said he wanted to give him the car! Shocked the younger neighbor offerred to give him a undetermined amount of money for the car. The transfer took place.

Back to the present.....the car arrived, back in the bay area this past Sunday. It has far exceeded my expectations. The car looks great! The transmission & front suspension just feels like new! The car is in such good original shape, it still has its original fabric on all three seats.

Inside the driver side door jamb, I found two oil change sticker sheets (remember the type they used till the late 70's/early 80's). Both were of the 1970's vintage style. One was from a shop in Palo Alto, CA, the other from Mountain View, CA . Now both of these places are within 10 miles from where I live! One oil change sticker read 24K, the other read 27K. The car's odometer now only has 30K miles!!! To further underscore the originality of this..The car still rides on a set of original 4 Ply tires ! The tires must be at least 20-25 years old! They are still in pretty good condition!

Within 2 hours of the car arriving, I was able to drive her on the 101 Freeway at 70MPH...Nice and smooth, no rattles! I got a bit startled when on the freeway this Sunday, someone in a maroon dodge caravan honked at me . I turned to see the driver giving me a BIG thumbs up and the passenger video taping me driving the roadster :)

The car will need some minor work to bring her back to complete road condition. Need to replace all the fluids and put in a new temp sender. The brakes will need some work/adjustment, carbs need some tuning/parts and I will replace the 4 plys with a set of wide white wall radials.

But...I'm thrilled with the car. You'll be sure to see this car at upcoming BADROC events in the future.
Last edited by datsun65 on Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dan
Houston, TX
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by ppeters914 »

Maple Valley is a suburb of Seattle like San Mateo is a suburb of San Francisco. :P

I find it interesting I buy a car and have it shipped from San Jose; you buy one from up here and ship it down. Of course, you've got a pristine '64 3-seater whilst I got a '66 that needs much work. :?

Seriously, nice buy and a great story. I saw that ad, too. Didn't know Leigh was checking it out.

Gee, what does one w/ a 40+ year old new car? 8)
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Wow, that car is a beauty. Nice find.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

Honestly, with 2 roadsters, things have been tight with figuring out parking/repairs. I've been juggling logistics, just to keep things straight.

Now with three....my goodness. I hope I don't loose my mind. :)

Pete: The car is really original and nice, but not pristine. It will need some work. But it is definately much nicer than the other 1500s I've owned over the past 14+ years...
Dan
Houston, TX
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

I was amazed at the condition of the car. And it is very complete - every little stock bit is there.

The tranny was crisp and tight - much better than my Miata!

Glad it got down to you in good shape, Dan.

Dan tells me I scared the PO by driving the car too fast!
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by ppeters914 »

Wow, Leigh, must've been nice to drive a new old car. Some good comparisons to Zippy, eh?

...and you're gonna love this one...

I told Debbie (my wife) about Dan's new 1500 last night, and she says "Well, why didn't you buy that one instead of this one that needs so much work?"

...ya just can't win, can ya? :?
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Dan,
Very interesting story, I read it twice and great car…
Can't wait to see your car at Solvang 06.

Ben
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

Dan, didn't you tell me that one more reoadster would result in you sleeping in the garage?

Nice car!
datsun65
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun65 »

The saving grace came from the kindness of my Dad who is storing my 67 SRL in Socal in his small third garage. The garage hadn't been cleaned in 8 years. The deal was if I cleaned it, I could use it.

The garage was piled 3 feet high in trash/boxes/dorm leftovers from his five sons who had been storing stuff in the garage indefinately. You couldn't even see the floor. You wouldn't believe the stuff that was in there...Upon the treasures (Many from my youngest brother - An Artist)...A dismembered mannequin w Hazlenut hair, A 1 gallon bag full of sorted out blue M&Ms, a plastic mold of a women's breast, at least 3 far east decoratic bukkas(SP?) w/ pipes, 3 industrial size underground water filters, 2 dozen pair of scattered old underwear and last but not least...the small piles of droppings from the rodents that moved into the bottom of the heap. They found quite a comfortable home within the old shredded t-shirts, vintage fritos lay snacks and broken cd jewel cases.

After 16 hours and a dumpster delivered to the house...the garage was cleaned and the roadster has a temporary new home.
Dan
Houston, TX