fresh air vent cable - source?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

roadstermike
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

fresh air vent cable - source?

Post by roadstermike »

hi, I am working on my 67.5 dash vents installing new rubber on the vents from Dean. i just realized the passenger side vable had been cut and i need to source this cable. i tried bicycle cable but its not thick/stiff enough to work. Anyone know of a source for this thicker cable with a barrel end? My cable housing is messed up too.

Thanks.
Michael
67.5 2000 clone
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: fresh air vent cable - source?

Post by bakerjf »

In the past, I’ve gone to my local chain auto store and purchased a generic choke cable kit or the like and stripped out the inner cable that comes with them. This was 20 years ago, however...not sure they carry that stuff anymore.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

I would try OSH, they normally have a good selection of wire that you can buy by the foot. Looking at mine, it has a bicycle cable type end, so you should purchase something that will fit in the lever.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

That'll get you the stiff cable you need, but you still need to deal with the lever end, The other end is held in by a clamp. Maybe something like the 2nd photograph might work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Harrison
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

roadstermike wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:42 pm hi, I am working on my 67.5 dash vents installing new rubber on the vents from Dean. i just realized the passenger side vable had been cut and i need to source this cable. i tried bicycle cable but its not thick/stiff enough to work. Anyone know of a source for this thicker cable with a barrel end? My cable housing is messed up too.

Thanks.
You need to be looking for single as opposed to multi strand wire.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

[/quote]

You need to be looking for single as opposed to multi strand wire.
[/quote]

+1 Bike cable is fine for pulling, not for pushing - it’s not an appropriate application for the vents.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
guyatou
Roadster Fanatic

Post by guyatou »

My car isn't handy at the moment, but I used "music wire" to rebuild the push/pull heater controls on my '68. A hobby shop will carry it and know what you're asking for. It comes in various thicknesses. I think what I used was 0.055". Not sure if that will work for the vent or not, but it's worth a try. Worked like a charm on the heater controls, and fit nicely in the original housing. It should also fit inside a choke/bicycle cable sheathing too. hth
Michael D.
Oklahoma City
1968 SRL-311
1930 Model A Ford
insta: @downesphoto
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Somewhat mickey mouse, but since all is hidden, who cares.

This is what I did, others, will probably improve on the process.

1) 5/16 clevis pin (HD didn't have a 1/4) though I think the 5/16 is better since it requires less accuracy in drilling.
2) HD braided wire - biggest you can find. I just took my housing with to make sure it fits. (Actually BIGGER than OEM)
3) Drilled/tapped hole for a small screw (used 3x60) in my case at further end from the clevis pin cap.
4) Drilled out vent control to take clevis pin
5) Cut clevis to leave minimum needed.

Notes:

If I had a shorter screw, then some of the filing/grinding would be unnecessary
1/4 clevis fits without drilling lever - though see above
Piano wire ( as in heater system ) could work, though since there is a bend in the "system", I am not so sure - especially since the "flex" part of the vent system is unsupported, i.e. there is a gap between the lever and the cable, where at least on Eliza, given that there was extra friction at the vent end, caused it to 'bend' and thus rendered it useless .

And for those of you who have not yet had this problem and use the original Datsun A/C system (i.e. vents), STRONGLY suggest that a bit of lubrication on the cables will save you from implementing whatever solution you may choose.

[attachment=0]20180409_122225[1].jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Harrison
printner
Roadster Fanatic

Post by printner »

I found materials to make good replacements. The cable diameter is an exact match. The sheathing is 1mm greater in diameter, but it is plastic lined so it's very smooth in operation.

The barrel ends are slightly smaller in diameter. Most available today are metric and it appears ours were 1/4." They work fine--the mount on the vent is crimped down around it. Here's a pic of the cable and sheath
cable and sheath.JPG
Here's a pic installed
installed.JPG
I've got plenty of material to make more, but didn't know if there was interest or what was a fair cost. I don't know the length of the cables for the late cars, so someone would have to share that with me. Thx
67.5 1600 stroker in progress
boxcar
Roadster Nut

Post by boxcar »

Any auto parts store carries heater control cables Most will have at least 1 Z'd end. Cut the length to fit your needs.