RIP Dad (Ken White)

A place to pay tribute to fallen folks

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

gvpjared
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

RIP Dad (Ken White)

Post by gvpjared »

Well, I've been meaning to make this post for awhile now. My dad passed away last year (2017). He had prostate cancer and battled it for about 3 years or so, but it finally got him.

He wasn't well known on here, but I think a few of you probably remember him from some of the Shasta shows and one Solvang show we all made it to. He loved his roadster. He bought it after Jon and I had our cars and he wanted one too. He got it from some desert location up near Reno, NV and he used to joke that he could hit the side of it and sand would fall out of it! It was a pretty beat up car, but he did some bondo work on it and gave it a 50 foot paint job. He had great time driving it around town with my mom and going on rides with us boys.

Our first time to Shasta we camped at the KOA and had a really good time. We hadn't really seen any other roadsters in our town, much less any nice ones and so we were quite impressed with the showing at Shasta. I remember we spent quite a bit of time checking out Mike Young's beautiful silver 2000. My dad was quite impressed the sound the door made when it shut...just like a new car! lol. We'd slam the door on one of our cars and then have check to make sure no parts fell off.

We also had a good time at Solvang about 5 years ago. My dad got into a good discussion with Stan about how he could just build his own brake brace for less than what Stan was charging... But, a few weeks later when I was ordering up a brace for my car, my dad asked me to order one up for him too! Our trip to Solvang that year was a pretty big deal for us, my whole family went with 4 roadsters and my dad trailered his car down. I remember Saturday morning, we were all heading over to the show and as we were pulling in to the roadster area to park there was a guy (maybe Primo? :D ) barking out parking orders and making sure everyone was in the right spot. My dad saw that and said "nope" and parked his car down the street for the show! It cracked me up that he took his car 400 miles and then decided not to park it with the rest of us... I think he was registered for the show too.

All in all we had a great time with our roadsters. I'm glad we were able to enjoy them as much as we did over the last few years. The roadster community is a great group of folks and I really appreciate all the people on here and the friendship that everyone extended to us at the shows. I know a few of you knew my dad and I wanted to make this post so that you'd know he has moved on.

Jared

(Jon and I sold his car on CL a few months back. We though about offering it up here first, but it was really a beater and we kinda wanted to just give it up to someone we didn't know :? A lady down in Southern California bought it site unseen and had a shipper pick it up for her. Who knows what she's doing with it?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
67.5 1600 - primered driver
67.5 1600 - parts source
67.5 1600 - potentially salvageable parts source
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Re: RIP Dad (Ken White)

Post by cktrap »

My condolences. What a great time and wonderful memories for you and your family. I would expect some of these memories will make it into the calendar. I vote for the picture in front of Mels
Keith
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

My condolences. Your memories are amazing and positive, he will be missed but never forgotten.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

Sorry to hear of your families loss. The memories are priceless. Glad he got to enjoy owning and driving a roadster with his sons.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

Sorry about your dad. I’m glad you have nice memories with him and his roadster.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Sorry to hear of your loss.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
AC77

Post by AC77 »

Sorry for your loss. I'm so glad you got to share all those memories with your dad. Priceless.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

Sorry for your loss Jared.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Smiles to you brother. So glad you were able to share those great times with your dad, and to share him with us! That's what life is about! He'll always be with you, and every time you share his love for you with others, they get him too!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
gvpjared

Post by gvpjared »

Thanks for the condolences. We really had some great times with our roadsters. We put his car in the calendar a few years ago and he got a good kick out of it, so I'm happy with that :)
67.5 1600 - primered driver
67.5 1600 - parts source
67.5 1600 - potentially salvageable parts source
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

In memory of your father I hope other owners can share some memories of their father and cars too.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

gvpjared wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:13 pm Thanks for the condolences. We really had some great times with our roadsters. We put his car in the calendar a few years ago and he got a good kick out of it, so I'm happy with that :)
My condolences to the Whites. Im sure he was quite proud of you boys, your wives, and his grandchildren.

Thank you for lending my 68 to the calander prior to my fathers passing. Glad we had that moment.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

My condolences to your family, and thanks for sharing your story with us.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.