Pricing help for datsun purchase

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

nking79

Pricing help for datsun purchase

Post by nking79 »

I found a local person who is selling a 1968 Datsun 1600 for $2500. Its been sitting for 4 years in his garage, but the car starts and he says it runs well. There is no top and the interior is in fair condition. He also says there is little rust on the car - a few bubbles under the paint.

Is the pricing fair for this? I feel like it should be lower, around $1750 to $2000. I'll take photos when I see the car this week.
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

How's all the chrome, does it need a repaint? Do all the rubber seals need to be replaced or are they good?

Maybe look at the photos and try to figure out what it would need to be cherry - add up the cost of all those parts then subtract it from what you'll want when you sell it. That sould give you a rough estimate.

I'm sure if you showed up with 2k cash the guy would not turn you away!
sgriffin
Roadster Fanatic

roadster purchase

Post by sgriffin »

Pricing seems to have a profound regional slant.
Left coast cars are more plentiful as are parts.
Consider the cost to redo the things that you have isolated as needing attention.
If the car runs, stops, has a clear title and whatever else that you need and go from there.
Basically it's all subjective. Go with your gut and enjoy the ride.
Sam
Sam E. Griffin
nking79

Post by nking79 »

I couldn't see much from the photo sent to me, but I should be getting more later today. From what I could see the front chrome was not there at all.
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

well, bumpers, headlight rings and a grill could easily set you back $500...
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I would plan on spending some $$$ on the brake hydraulics. Are you doing the work yourself or paying someone else, that might be the deciding factor. Labor in our area, NY/NJ is not cheap.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit