High beam headlights only

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

denniswagnerusa
Roadster Fanatic

High beam headlights only

Post by denniswagnerusa »

I have two issues that started recently with my 69 1600. All the electrical worked normally until recently when the headlights would only be in high beam mode. The dash light went on also. I also lost the rear lights only when the headlights were on however the turn signals worked normally. The front parking lights also do not work with the headlights on. Everything else seems to work.

This problem is the result of an evolution of other problems. It started with a stuck oil filter. While working with that I crossed some wires on my electric fan controller and shorted it out starting a small fire which I was able to blow out. After that the fan was on all the time. I drove it for awhile until the new controller came in. I replaced the fan controller but it kept blowing fuses. I found out that I had wired it incorrectly and it worked fine after switching a couple of wires. Somewhere in there I drove the car at night for the first time in a long time and noticed that the right turn signal did not work when the headlights were on. I inspected the wiring including pulling the light switch down to see if there was any obvious problems and there weren't. Anyway something I did caused the turn signals to start working again but now the high beams are on all the time and the rear lights don't work with the headlights on.

I've studied the discussions in this forum about this problem and have done what I could to check grounds and look for loose wires. Troubleshooting the headlight relay on this car is tough because the spade connectors are encased in plastic connectors.

Any ideas on how to continue?
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Re: High beam headlights only

Post by SLOroadster »

Pull the headlight relay and see if there is a broken wire going into it. Highbeam is the open setting when the wire breaks. I've had a similar issue with mine and every time its been the wire from the plug going into the relay.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

Here is a line schematic of that area of the wiring: -
1965 SP310 Head Light Schematic.jpg
It is for a 1965 SP310 but applicable to all I believe :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
denniswagnerusa
Roadster Fanatic

My problems have been partially solved. I found a fuse I didn't know existed next to the fuse box. My electrical system is a hybrid because of the need to merge the stock electrical system with the SR20 system. My mechanic put in several relays with the one in the glove box protected by a 25 amp fuse. The fuse was burned out causing most of my problems. By replacing the fuse my hi and low beams worked normally is did the tail lights and parking lights with the headlights on. However now I'm back to a problem I had earlier where the right turn signals front and back do not work only when the headlights are on. They work normally when the headlights are off. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this problem?
denniswagnerusa
Roadster Fanatic

Also now the low beams don't work but the hi-lo beam switch works to toggle between hi beams that work and low beams that do not. Before the high beams stayed on in both positions.
MrGuts
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MrGuts »

Have the same hi/lo beam issue. Have a new headlight switch, expect the issue to be in the stalk switch.
PeaceLoveAndRoadsterness...Forever
'69 SPL U20 know worldwide as Spike
Paso Robles, Ca
New :idea: 's welcome
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Here is an old thread on a repair option:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... tch#p79438
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.