distributor / smog

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: distributor / smog

Post by Lorna c »

idk . it seemed to slide good But what I noticed before I cleaned it was it looked like the bend in that arm was hanging up when coming back And when going in that arm would lift but not come off . I believe I have one of the tuff spring in because of the advance being so high or something I'm remembering from the rebuilt of motor .
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

but I'm hoping it's still holding at one spot because of that tiny nut not letting it rotate the last 3mm or so . idk if room for a washer .lol. but maybe I can loosen a touch . any ideas . oh and after I cleaned it it was popping before it pushes now it pushes .haha

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

and check my cable . the bearings are good and rolling . good is gone and new lube . uhm points set again to 50 dwell . new plugs from a few days ago . ....

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oh did I mention that I had the wrong distributor cap given to me 2 or 3 times over the past year ? yep . like I need help messing up. no wonder I was breaking rotors and misfiring etc etc etc etc.. not getting it right .. it was knocking around in there .. Ant my electrical is perfect . the fuse box is in line now .not knowing they need to be just right , not "there on it .."

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok what the heck . it's riding in advance mode . I have a question on the plate in there that slides , and the spring , is it possible for the spring to shrink ? not really but is it possible to have one too small ! length wise ? I've noticed the plate will slide with ease But before I had put it back together with the spring , it returned much farther than it can with the spring hooked up . is that normal? and what do I do to fix this distributor problem I'm always having it seems . it was the wrong cap before but now I'm stumped . I've checked the length of the two turnbuckles 78 mm post to post and 86mm over all length . checked my floats a few days ago . fixed them . they were high by 5 mm .. throttle cable isn't getting pulled . advancement moves freely when I do it manually and comes back freely ... what can I be missing if anyone can help pls ols

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok so I pulled it again and greased it up better . didn't use very much last time . so , going for a test drive here to check . wish me luck !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

all good for a couple days days now .