Blowing 10amp tail and parking fuse

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Vince V
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Blowing 10amp tail and parking fuse

Post by Vince V »

One more thing.
My car is a 69 with two row fuse block. The cover to the fuse block indicates that the Park/Tail fuse is 10amp. My owners manual also indicates its a 10amp fuse.
So, the wiring diagram in the tech wiki for the 69-70 shows this fuse as a 20amp.

any thoughts??
69 SRL-311-07700
72 Alfa GTV B Sedan vintage race car
74 Penton/KTM 125 MC
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I'm dealing with a short too . but mines from the led conversion I'm doing . there's a dollop of solder on each of them that seems to like to touch the little tube they slip into in the gauges . ordering a different kind to remedy for that problem! hope u solved it ..!
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Vince V wrote:Well you guys nailed it. Pulled the fuse block tonight and the right side ( assume hot side) of fuse holder for the tail/parking fuse is discolored and actually started to melt a bit of the plastic. Its very loose, but that may be from the slight bit of melt.
I have a fuse block from a parts car which I will replace over the next weekend.
Hoping the fuse holder was the issue and not something else that created the heat in that fuse contact.
Thanks all
Will report back when I make the change.
Vince
I have a spare late box if your's is questionable I'll throw it in the truck. do you have early 1 row or later 2 row?. If you're still having issues, I can probably come up in mid September.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

there a trick with a test light on the battery cable and terminal *while disconnected to check for a short . put the clip on the wire that connects the hot( I believe) and the test light pin on the terminal positive . If it Lights Up and it's unhooked from each other , You Have a Short . then leave it that way (light on) and pull your fuses one at a time . look at that light , if it dims or goes out , that's where your short is whatever that fuse is to , you check ! saves a bunch of time .. oh if it dims and not out , you have more crosses to find and keep going till the end . good luck .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oh and through a 20amp on the headlights fuse I've read a few times ..