Visiting Oregon Roadster Friends

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Visiting Oregon Roadster Friends

Post by Alvin »

On 7/31 my family rented an RV and drove up the Oregon coast from San Jose, CA. Part of the two-week trip in Oregon included a visit with Michael Spreadbury (Spriso Motorsports), Eric Straw (SR311DET) and Anthony Schwisow (Datsun 510 owner).

When we arrived at Michael's I was pleasantly surprised to see a car show in his front yard along with some local friends! He even arranged a BBQ. The evening was filled with cool cars, food and good times.

The Cars

Keri's 1964 SPL310
Michael built this 3-seater 1500 for his wife! This was the first time I got to see it in person and it is amazing from the SR20 engine swap to the OEM interior and custom built steelies.

Michael's 1966 SPL
His personal roadster with S15 NA SR20DE, 16" Watanabe RS-8 wheels and brilliant beige grey paint.

Dave Joliff's 1966 SPL
I remember Dave from Shasta 2004. His Daytona Blue S13-powered roadster has been driven hard over the last 13 years! Still looks fantastic.

Diamond Dave's SR20-powered Miata
That's right! With Michael and Eric's help they installed an Autech SR20DE/6-speed drivetrain into his NA Miata. It's a perfect match and I got brisk ride in it (thanks Diamond!). In the video, you'll see Michael zooming past us in the opposite direction!
[youtube][/youtube]

Eric Straw's 1984 DR30 Skyline
Eric drove down from Salem with his RB26DETT-powered R30 Skyline. If you haven't already read about this incredibly built rarity, check out my write-up on it: http://www.zcarblog.com/2017/03/22/perf ... yline.html

More cars showed up throughout the evening, including Neil's pristine 1988 Mazda RX-7. 30k miles and original paint!

Dave Lum, a long-time 510 owner (Z32TT engine swap!) brought his son's 410 wagon:

The Shop
Home of Spriso Motorsports and those magical SR-powered roadsters we have all seen.
Michael's Bluebird project!
During the shop tour I noticed this door with signatures on it. I wondered if it was a special door with some significance, and if I could sign it for fun. Michael asked me to later! But a requirement was that you list what vehicle you drove, so I need to replace the "RV" with roadster soon.

Around this time I was surprised when Michael told me Brian (bkippen) was coming! I thought twice, a little bewildered. How/why would he be here? Before I could compute this, Brian had pulled up in his newly restored 67 2000 #427. A little context.. Brian and I are both from the Bay Area with only ~40miles separating us. We have corresponded by social media and tried to meet up locally but never met in person out side of one Solvang Show. And here we were, some 600+ miles from home! We will dyno his roadster soon as it has a hopped up Hasslegren-built U20!

I'll post more pics of his ride in his #427 build thread!

Sadly our good friend Anthony broke down in his 510 coming from Portland. Good news is that he mended his radiator, made it home safely and completed a track day at PIR with zero issues! His 2JZ-powered Datsun 510 wagon:

And eventually we hooked up for after-work cocktails in the RV in Lake Oswego :D

Thank you Michael for organizing the get together!

The next morning we visited Silver Falls and headed to Salem where Eric's family welcomed us to stay for the night.

Eric's shop
Eric is an extremely talented fabricator. His 510, roadster and Skyline showcase his skills, style and ingenuity but I was really impressed by the kitchen table he fabricated for his home. Sunset Magazine stuff. His shop is actually next to the house with enormous roll-up doors.
That epic DR30 Skyline
Eric is also building a roadster for one soon-to-be-very-happy member here, stay tuned!

I could easily spend hours in his shop, but it was getting late. We enjoyed a nice sunset picking blackberries with the kids and the next morning we headed north to Multnomah Falls.

Thank you Eric for your graciousness and it was nice to meet your family!

I will have more pictures in a blog post shortly
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
spriso
Vendor

Re: Visiting Oregon Roadster Friends

Post by spriso »

Good times-- we were delighted to host you and the family!

We will have another get together next summer for sure...

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
Roadster Fanatic

Post by #009 »

Sounds like you had a blast Alvin. Lots of nice cars but the 2JZ powered 510 intrigued me the most. Did you do a write up on your blog about that 510? Enjoy the rest of your family vacation.
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

Looks like it was a great day.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

#009 wrote:Sounds like you had a blast Alvin. Lots of nice cars but the 2JZ powered 510 intrigued me the most. Did you do a write up on your blog about that 510?
I certainly did! Anthony has visited the shop a few times and we dyno tuned his 510. It has seen several iterations from 7M-GTE and fender flares/wheels. Most notable is the rear-mounted radiator. Enjoy!
http://www.zcarblog.com/2016/02/06/perf ... n-510.html
http://www.zcarblog.com/2015/05/11/unca ... day-3.html

Eric Straw also did some impressive fabrication recently work on the intake/plumbing so it should be making more power now.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

spriso wrote:Good times-- we were delighted to host you and the family!

We will have another get together next summer for sure...

Michael
Thanks again! I will return with a roadster to ammend my signature!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Alvin wrote:
Thanks again! I will return with a roadster to ammend my signature!

For those who have visited us in the last 3-4 years, we have been having people sign the door as a kind of log to keep track of the many great Datsun/Nissan/or general gearheads from around the world who have visited us (and it really is turning into an amazing list!) I wish we would have done this 10 years ago when I first built the shop, but it is what it is...

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
SR311DET
Roadster Nut

Post by SR311DET »

What a great weekend mix of family and cars. A big thanks to Spriso for hosting and collecting a great group of people to share our passion with.

It is to bad that Alvin and his amazing family lives so far away. Thank you for doing such a great job of documenting all of these great moments.

Eric
Skyman

Post by Skyman »

Just....Awesome.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

Hey Michael can you share more details about these steelies?
Size , width , offset and more importantly tire size and manufacturer

I've been seriously looking at getting a set of the wheels below from Image and the picture from Keri's car confirm it could look really good

They're light weight 3pieces aluminum wheels from Image wheels in the UK and available in 15 or 16" with any width and offset I want
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

Nice write-up! Looks like fun!
datseen

Post by datseen »

Roadster community in action! awesome. Love that 3 seater SR20.
Jon T
'69 2000

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/datseen69/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX031T ... Rx0DhiqX5Q
Website: http://www.datseen.com (just pics, no useful info :smt006 )