Penny: Two to make one '69 SRL-311, in Durango CO

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

tig
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Getting Started in Bellevue

Post by tig »

Hi. Been a while since I posted. i continue to lurk and learn.

I've recently completed my latest project (or at least it's on the road; it will never be "done").

Meet Minerva, the S54 powered, better than new, daily-driver E28:

I've also re-acquired Uglina (bought her back from the guy in Texas I sold her to in 2016):

With Minerva done (a 5 year project), and just a bit of work left to do to make Uglina "right", my mind is starting to wander towards my Roadster project. It'll take a while for me to ramp up, but before long expect to see a build thread started here. Of course I need to take possession of the project cars first figuring out how to get them from the storage place in PA to Seattle or Salt Lake.

My current plan has the car looking something like this when done, with an s13sr20.

It will be finished to a level that makes a Singer 911 look sad.

Since I've never actually driven a 311, I will likely try to find a "driver" for sail cheap first. It doesn't seem like a good idea to rebuild a car from the ground up that you don't actually "know". I'd appreciate any tips on cars available in either the Seattle or Salt Lake City areas.
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

OMG LOVE the S54-powered E28!!!!!
Incredible engine. You even incorporated the "sport" mode button!!!!

Love your taste it will be exciting to see what you can do with a roadster.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

That E28... wow!
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Did you meet with the DROPS members yet? One of them, like Ted, can maybe give you a ride in A Roadster to help your motivation.
There are a few shipping companies that owners have used so check the Search out on that one.
Not sure about owners in Pennsylvania but there might be a few to connect with.
Good luck
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Did you meet with the DROPS members yet? One of them, like Ted, can maybe give you a ride in a Roadster to help your motivation.
There are a few shipping companies that owners have used so check the Search out on that one.
Not sure about owners in Pennsylvania but there might be a few to connect with.
You are going to love the convertible experience
That is quite the garage you have there, if that is your house.
You must own Microsoft stock from back in the day... :lol:
Good luck
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

You really should hook up with someone like Ted who may let you drive a stock and a swapped roadster. Not saying that Ted let’s just anyone drive his cars, but bet he could be persuaded or put you in touch with someone who would. Looking at your stable I guessing you will want a swap, but don’t discount how much fun an original modified engine can be in these lightweight cars. Don’t expect the Datsun to be near as smooth or quiet as the BMW’s or the Porsche, but do expect it to be just as entertaining to drive and guaranteed to draw more attention.
I had several 2002’s back in the day, including a couple of Tii’s. Great cars, but my favorite was a grey market 733 with a 4 speed. Even had roll up windows and cloth seats!
Get on the ball and get those roadsters shipped to you, you’ll love em!
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Jefe_505
Roadster Newby

Post by Jefe_505 »

Having watched your attention to detail lavished on your BMWs on Garageforum, I look forward to seeing what you can do to a roadster.
Your powers are useless. I'm wearing my tinfoil underwear!

'67 Pontiac GTO
'69 1600 Roadster
'71 240Z
'92 300ZX TT
'95 Audi S6 Avant
Southplacerkid
Forum Newb

Post by Southplacerkid »

:D
Last edited by Southplacerkid on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Check out the engine swap section, lots of info. From what I know, if you have the KA24, I would go that route. It is "easier" in that it doesn't require the frame mods that a SR will. Seems to be plenty of power, documentation and parts for the KA.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
tig
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Getting Started in Durango, CO (was Bellevue)

Post by tig »

Hi.

Been a minute, but I'm "back" and getting closer to Datsun-life.

Last week I saw my cars in person for the first time. There are two chassis and 3 titles. They are not quite just piles of rust on the floor of the Pennsylvania barn they've been sitting in since 1990. My friend purchased them in the late '80s... to make one from two. He did nothing but a bit of dismantling. They've sat there, untouched, since.

I've decided to name the project/car after Penny Priddy, a hottie I fell in love with ages ago. She's a pivotal character in one of my favorite movies, Buckaroo Banzai. Played by the unconventionally pretty Ellen Barkin. The cars hail from Pennsylvania, which inspired me to consider Penny.

My current vision for Penny is for it to be restomod. I've always wanted an orange car, so I have a few orange hues in mind. And a Porsche plaid fabric like this:

Or, I might decide to do a 100% factory restoration. I have plenty of time to decide...

Soon, I'll start an actual build thread (once I get them moved and into my own shop?). But for now, if y'all see anything in the photos that you have comments on, I'm listening. Also seeking folks who live near Durango, CO, my new home.
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

Would one of those hues be "papaya" ? As a point of discloser, I speak BMW also. Mine are drivers, at best.

I am working through a 1970, 1600 and I look forward to how you take on these cars. I have a car that might look better, but the condition of the mechanical systems has required that everything needed attention. I would take copious photos of the car before you continue taking them apart. Then the question of stock or modified, it really hinges on the tire package that you build the car around.

I had a 1964 Series one Elan, on the stock 13inch rims that nothing wider than 145SR 13 tires would fit under the stock fenders. I loved how that car worked the tires. What you are going to do with your cars will drive your decision.

Oh, you might want to start a new tool box. Your 13,17 and 19mm wrenches might have nothing to help with on these new cars. Your 30mm thin wall socket, nope.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jr02518 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tig
Roadster Fanatic

Post by tig »

jr02518 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:35 pm I speak BMW also. Mine are drivers, at best.
FWIW, for that E21: https://www.holygraillabs.com/

(I'm a co-owner of HGL).
funkaholik
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Getting Started in Durango (was Bellevue)

Post by funkaholik »

Holy Grail Labs! Love it!

"What, behind the rabbit?"
Erik Miller
Concord, CA
1970 Datsun SPL311-29945, owned since '95. Back on the road in 2022!
1967 Mustang, 428, 5 speed
1981 VW Rabbit Truck, 1.6 turbo diesel
...Oh, and a daily driver.
viewtopic.php?t=19067
tig
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Getting Started in Durango (was Bellevue)

Post by tig »

Who did I see with a white (or light colored) SPL311 on the back of a flatbed driving on Florida Rd in Durango last week?

My new shop is coming together. This means I have a line of site to actually getting my roadsters here from PA and starting the project for realz...

I even ensured they fit...

tig
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Penny: Two (three?) to make one, in Durango CO

Post by tig »

Thread rename...