Mothra SR20DE Swap in Florida

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: SR20DE Swap in Florida

Post by Bigtaku »

onsight512 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:35 pm
Bigtaku wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:09 pm I also installed a separate coolant temp sensor for my gauge and have the OEM sensor in it's standard plug.
Can you tell me more about this? Did you install the sensor in a different place? And have you driven it enough to get an idea of what the 'normal operating temperature" seems to be?
I placed the sensor for the speedhut gauge on the cast coolant tube below the distributor cap and forward of the dip stick. There is a flat spot on mine that was easy to drill and tap. As far as what my normal temp is now it stays right around 200 degrees even with the air conditioner going and I live in Florida so it's hot outside.
IMG_4218.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
onsight512
Site Supporter

Post by onsight512 »

Bigtaku wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:25 pm
onsight512 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:35 pm
Bigtaku wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:09 pm I also installed a separate coolant temp sensor for my gauge and have the OEM sensor in it's standard plug.
Can you tell me more about this? Did you install the sensor in a different place? And have you driven it enough to get an idea of what the 'normal operating temperature" seems to be?
I placed the sensor for the speedhut gauge on the cast coolant tube below the distributor cap and forward of the dip stick. There is a flat spot on mine that was easy to drill and tap. As far as what my normal temp is now it stays right around 200 degrees even with the air conditioner going and I live in Florida so it's hot outside.IMG_4218.JPG

Thanks Michael.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Michael,
Love to hear an update on how the AC is going--any belt slipping since you elected to just go with the 3-rib pulley? Any noise or other issues?
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

GoldHawg wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:35 pm Michael,
Love to hear an update on how the AC is going--any belt slipping since you elected to just go with the 3-rib pulley? Any noise or other issues?
My air has been cold and blows nicely. I do have a moment of belt squeak when I first start the engine but it goes away quickly. I do not know for sure if it is coming from the compressor belt or the alternator belt, although the alternator belt seams to be the correct tension. The box that I have that reroutes the air on the top of the Vintage Air unit works well but it also makes air blow through all the vents all the time when the air is on. I probably loose some air flow because of this but I have plenty and I can close the vents on the dash if I want just not the defrost vent. Not a big deal and having more foot room is a big plus for the passenger. I haven't used the heater really but tested it and it works just fine. If I could put on a four rib I would but the one I have rubs on the sides of the pulley.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_4235 311.jpg
I am really enjoying driving a Datsun Roadster again. So much work accomplished and so much more I want to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
William
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by William »

That's a beaut! Nice work
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Mattk »

Michael really nice work! Hope to see in person some day!

Cheers

Matthew
MattK
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Bigtaku wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:08 am
GoldHawg wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:35 pm Michael,
My air has been cold and blows nicely. I do have a moment of belt squeak when I first start the engine but it goes away quickly. I do not know for sure if it is coming from the compressor belt or the alternator belt, although the alternator belt seams to be the correct tension. The box that I have that reroutes the air on the top of the Vintage Air unit works well but it also makes air blow through all the vents all the time when the air is on. I probably loose some air flow because of this but I have plenty and I can close the vents on the dash if I want just not the defrost vent. Not a big deal and having more foot room is a big plus for the passenger. I haven't used the heater really but tested it and it works just fine. If I could put on a four rib I would but the one I have rubs on the sides of the pulley.
I now have no squeaking on start up. I sprayed on some belt conditioner and it worked like magic.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_4321.JPG
Little update to Mothra, Yesterday I had my new (bought it in Jan 2018) EZon soft top put on. It did not fit... I purchased it from Cabrio World. They have a 30 day return policy but said they would work with me because the top is way off in size from what it is suppose to be. It sure was pretty for a few minutes though.
Michael Montez
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

Do you have the bows adjusted? One of them should have knurled knobs that allow you to extend the frame a little.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

theunz wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:49 pm Do you have the bows adjusted? One of them should have knurled knobs that allow you to extend the frame a little.
Yes, they were at the low point but extending them came no where near close enough. The top is 2 inches too tall in the back still and about an inch to short/wide in the front, compared to the top we took off.
Michael Montez
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Hi Michael, roadster tops are not easy to put on, so I know what you are going through.

We hear this type of description no matter who manufactures the top.

(Had the exact same problem recently from someone installing a Robbins top who had never put on a roadster top,
but had installed tops on other cars)

All that extra material at the rear IS why the top is coming up short in the front. You may need to have it in the warm sun (FL👍🏾)

We always recommend having a good upholstery shop do the install if you can find an old guy that has done a roadster...

That’s what happened with the Robbins, customer took it to a shop and of course, it fit.

They can be a challenge.

I also typically avoid heavy canvas materials with the roadster as they are really too bulky which makes things worse. The thinner synthetic materials are much more compliant.

Suggest you lower the mounts fully, take everything loose at the rear except the rear bar, and pull it all forward.
It will likely fit.

After you get the front bar on, you will likely find things very tight in the back since you already installed all the rear fasteners and they look pretty “high” on the material rather than close to the edge.

Also, you don’t want to rely too much on the old top, since the new pattern will almost certainly be different in several ways. (No matter what mfg.)

Hope this helps, Best of luck!
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

JT68 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:30 am Hi Michael, roadster tops are not easy to put on, so I know what you are going through.

We hear this type of description no matter who manufactures the top.

(Had the exact same problem recently from someone installing a Robbins top who had never put on a roadster top,
but had installed tops on other cars)

All that extra material at the rear IS why the top is coming up short in the front. You may need to have it in the warm sun (FL👍🏾)

We always recommend having a good upholstery shop do the install if you can find an old guy that has done a roadster...

That’s what happened with the Robbins, customer took it to a shop and of course, it fit.

They can be a challenge.

I also typically avoid heavy canvas materials with the roadster as they are really too bulky which makes things worse. The thinner synthetic materials are much more compliant.

Suggest you lower the mounts fully, take everything loose at the rear except the rear bar, and pull it all forward.
It will likely fit.

After you get the front bar on, you will likely find things very tight in the back since you already installed all the rear fasteners and they look pretty “high” on the material rather than close to the edge.

Also, you don’t want to rely too much on the old top, since the new pattern will almost certainly be different in several ways. (No matter what mfg.)

Hope this helps, Best of luck!
JT, I did take to a good car upholster. He says he orders from EZ-on when he needs a top and has installed a lot of tops but never a Datsun Roadster. He did recently install a MG and it went on perfectly. Do you know if the seam closest to the rear window should have the rear (rear, middle and front) support beam close to it or does it not have anything to do with that?
Thanks, oh and a photo of the inside of a top in the up position would help. My old top can't be used at this point.
Michael Montez
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

The seam at the top of the rear window is where the rear most bar on the top frame goes - there should be tabs to wrap around it.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

spl310 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:40 pm The seam at the top of the rear window is where the rear most bar on the top frame goes - there should be tabs to wrap around it.
That's the thing, the bar is in the Velcro straps and the bar is at it's highest adjustment point and it is still very loose in the back.
Michael Montez