Steering shaft U joint

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Randalla
Roadster Fanatic

Steering shaft U joint

Post by Randalla »

After getting my car back together and on the road I noticed when turning the steering wheel that there were points in the rotation where it seemed to be catching (not working smoothly). Upon inspecting the steering shaft while turning the steering wheel (with the hood up) it appeared that the steering shaft itself was bent and that was what was causing the friction. A new steering shaft did not solve the problem...so I'm back to the drawing board. With the steering shaft pulled out of the U joint, it seems the U-joint is only moving in one direction, which puts pressure on the shaft, making it look like it's bent. Never seen a U joint that did not move in both directions. The steering U-joint should move up and down as well as left and right shouldn't it? Anybody else ever run into this?
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Re: Steering shaft U joint

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Randalla wrote:After getting my car back together and on the road I noticed when turning the steering wheel that there were points in the rotation where it seemed to be catching (not working smoothly). Upon inspecting the steering shaft while turning the steering wheel (with the hood up) it appeared that the steering shaft itself was bent and that was what was causing the friction. A new steering shaft did not solve the problem...so I'm back to the drawing board. With the steering shaft pulled out of the U joint, it seems the U-joint is only moving in one direction, which puts pressure on the shaft, making it look like it's bent. Never seen a U joint that did not move in both directions. The steering U-joint should move up and down as well as left and right shouldn't it? Anybody else ever run into this?

I also thought the shaft was bent on mine but it turned out the u-joint was completely frozen. Check the parts wiki for crossover #s. There are cheap options for both early and late styles.
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

Moog/Precision, P/N 338 for early style steering gearboxes. Just replaced mine this spring. It requires very slight modification to get the snap rings to fit properly.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I didn't see the Precision/Moog 338 added to the Tech Wiki . I think it should be, with adjustment advice as noted.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Added
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
patrick
Forum Newb

Post by patrick »

I found this thread working my own project, and wanted to add my findings. I just replaced the u-joint cross on my late style steering box with internal c-clips. I found a direct replacement here ($10 including shipping): https://www.driveshaftparts.com/UJ1625. Key dimensions were the 16mm cap diameter and 25mm between grooves.
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Patrick, good info, thank for posting.
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next