Idler Box R & R

Discussion for product reviews! Coming sooner or later.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Datsmark
Forum Newb

Idler Box R & R

Post by Datsmark »

I am a retired Purchasing Professional from a large Multinational Industrial Company. When our major supplier went out of business we were no longer supplied with spare parts. We were forced to reverse engineer the parts in which I was tasked to source electrical, mechanical, composite and hydraulic parts. Price was a huge driver but quality could not be compromised.
The task took me in search both domestically and abroad. What I learned was that there a good companies that can make bad parts and there are bad companies that can make good parts, but there are no good or bad companies that continue to make bad parts that remain in business.

A case in point of a good company that continues to make good parts is DatsunParts.Com who is in its 29th year of business and has passion to keep these cars on the road.

I am restoring 1970 2L. I guess I needed something to do after I completed my 1969 1.6L or am a gluten for punishment. Either way I was repairing the front end. The idler box would not accept grease but it seemed to not have any play in it. I took it apart and the bushing was rusted completely to the shaft. I ordered an Idler box repair kit from Dean and took it to my machinist to hone the bushing for a perfect fit to the shaft. He asked what I paid for it and was amazed at the price for such superior quality. The lessen remains the same do not compromise quality for price.

Thanks Dean
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Idler Box R & R

Post by Gregs672000 »

Good to know! That is one of my next projects.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA