Corvair Wheel Studs?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mgslayer
Roadster Fanatic

Corvair Wheel Studs?

Post by mgslayer »

Wondering if anyone has put the corvair wheel studs on. I see P/N C591 (7/16 x 20 thread) listed on the parts interchange page (Thanks Steve). What year/model Corvair are they from? Any recommendations on where to get them? How much of a pain to get the old one's out and new one's in? Thanks in advance

Mark
68 Srl's 02011 and 02573
Mark
Taneytown MD
1968 SRL311
glennhuff
Roadster Fanatic

Post by glennhuff »

I put the corvair studs in. I have yet to drive the car, but they went in just fine. They are slightly longer than stock. You may have to flatten the head on one side to fit in the back. I can't remember the part number, but I got them at NAPA. I think that all corvairs are probably the same. They weren't made for very long. Good luck.
TR

Post by TR »

Originals or good reproductions are avail. from Rallye, also. I imagine the Corvair units are much cheaper, though...
JFBrink
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JFBrink »

I'm using Corvair studs on my '66.

The part number I used was 610-186, which seems to apply to all years.

As a side note, the Corvair lugs were much steeper than the ones I had on the car, so I didn't buy them. But the "OEM" lugs I bought later on looked just like those for the Corvair.

Jesse.
mgslayer
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mgslayer »

Thanks to all for the replies. I was looking at the corvair studs because the rims I have would not take a typical shank lug nut, and a conical lug would work if more of the stud came through the rim. When I 1st got the rims many years ago, my father cut down some of the width of a shank lug so it would fit, but after 13+ years they started rusting and needed replacing. I went to Summit Racing and found a conical lug nut w/ a 0.30" shank made by Crager which fits great! :D

Thanks Again
Mark
SRL311-02573 Finally Running - not smooth yet, but running!
Mark
Taneytown MD
1968 SRL311
toadster

wheel studs

Post by toadster »

I put the corvair studs on my 67 because of the rims I bought were too thick, they were real easy to install however awhile ago I posted a message on how to install them and got several different replies from having to disassemble the rear housing to drilling a hole in the back plate, Alving told me that it was as simple as taking off the tires and popping the old ones out and pounding the new ones in. That was the way I did it but different years apparently have different techniques.