exhausts again,..............

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

69ner
Roadster Fanatic

exhausts again,..............

Post by 69ner »

hey guys well its time for a new exhaust setup....my existing one just has one muffler, the car is super quiet. Now what i want to do is change out the old and in with the new but from what i've been reading many of you are running a two muffler system, so im wondering if i should stick with the one can system with a new quality muffler like borla /maniflow?
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Borla muffler? Which one? What about Magnaflow?
Is everyone running a 2" external diameter pipe? Is anyone running resonators and/or cats? Where? What about the tip?
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

I'm running 2" pipes with a 16" Thrush turbo muffler, and a 12" glasspack resonator with a megaphone tip. I think it sounds great, and others have concurred. I heard Paul Gabriel's 2 liter with only one muffler and no resonator, and it doesn't sound any louder. Go figure :!: Alvin's roadster sounds xlnt also. He has an audio clip of his car at Solvang during the Poker run. If you like what you hear, maybe go for the Borla.
Also, check everyone's systems out at the Mt Wilson run.
69ner
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 69ner »

was alvings sound clip of exhaust off of a SR20 or U20?
jbush
Roadster Nut

Post by jbush »

I am running no muffler, resonator only on my 1600 and I love the way it sounds. I have an old-school blown out glasspack and no resonator on my 2L and it sounds good too. I prefer the resonator without muffler though.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
hport
Roadster Fanatic

Post by hport »

I have a 2.25" exhaust system, starting with a 6" flex section, then use a single performance muffler ( turbo style) located in the stock location. The tail pipe is welded to the muffler outlet and goes to the edge of the bumper. I used only one clamped joint in the system ( muffler inlet). It has a deep tone and breaths well at high revs.

Your muffler choice depends on what sound level and performance level you want. The 2.25" exhaust require you to trim the frame holes on the top and bottom for a good fit.
68 2000 solex
mgslayer
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mgslayer »

Just fired my Beast up today for the 1st time in 3 years!!!!! :D From the header I have a flex pipe - 2" pipe to a glass pack placed in front of the axle - 2" pipe over the axle to a Monza Twin Tip. The intent was to get someting that would growl and make the rice burners back down. I'm happy w/ it. Has a nice low growl, only drove it for about a mile, but I'm still grinning :twisted: I used the 2" pipe because I didn't want to cut the openings and was able to use the original pretzel strap clamps that connect the pipe to the frame.

Happy Wrenching
Mark
SRL311-02573 - IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark
Taneytown MD
1968 SRL311
Dennis Louthan
Roadster Nut

Post by Dennis Louthan »

My Stroker has a 4 inch flex pipe, 2 inch to a Dynamax race muffler mounted in front of the rear axle, 2 1/4 over the axle. The Dynamax race muffler out flows the Magnaflow by about 350 cfm, it's not to bad until you get on the cam. It sounds like you mean business.
68 1600/ Stroker
72 240z Stock
77 Toyota Pickup (2l auto...rare)
2001 Harley FLHTCI
68roadster@charter.net