So, You Want an SR20DE/SR20DET Engine-- Everything You Need To Know

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

StreetFin
Roadster Newby

Re: So, You Want an SR20DE/SR20DET Engine-- Everything You Need To Know

Post by StreetFin »

SABLT194 wrote:Very nice Michael! I bought my S14A via pictures and video of compression test on each hole. I was very lucky and received an unmolested motor and trans in excellent condition. The only issue I have is that typical SR20 Variable Valve Timing rattle at startup idle. I'm gonna try to fix that now that the car is blown back apart for paint.

Regards,
Steve
What Vendor did you use? I read through this guide about once a day and use it for online shopping, but there are so many vendors it is hard to tell who to go with.
SABLT194
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SABLT194 »

Sorry that I don't actually recall who the vendor was - that was 5 or 6 years ago. I looked closely at the pictures to make sure it was unmolested. IE no aftermarket headers, Turbo, Intake, etc. My thoughts were that I didn't want a motor that may have been some hacked on by some backyard mechanic, then beat on mercilessly. I did opt for an S14 with 5 speed trans over earlier versions. The stock (ball bearing) turbo on the S14's is slightly better than the older ones. I actually ended up with an S14a Kouki motor. Only hitch there was a true wiring diagram was unobtinium for the S14a. Most of the pinouts matched the S15's however, and I figured out the rest by process of elimination. So I do have s14A pinouts if someone needs them.
Regards,
Steve
1966 1600 SR20 DET Restomod
1969 Ford Thunderchicken 429 BBF Suicide Door Car
1994 Pontiac Formula - 355 M6 435 RWHP 11.54 @ 125 MPH
1971 Dodge Dart - Next Resto Mod Project Gen 3 392 Hemi with T56
2017 Ram 1500 Daily Driver
IH8-V8
Roadster Newby

Post by IH8-V8 »

Mike, we spoke a year ago, and it was your knowledge and your companies parts / support that made me decide to go along with the project (Vocational School Build in NY)

This thread is so helpful! I can't wait to assign it as homework!
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Mike, we spoke a year ago, and it was your knowledge and your companies parts / support that made me decide to go along with the project (Vocational School Build in NY)
Always happy to help!

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
Vinnyz
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vinnyz »

Michael.....what are folks choosing as their turbo exhaust manifolds with the Det engines in the roadsters? Top mount custom....top mount off the shelf (ebay) ?
73' Datsun 240-Z turbo
70' Datsun SRL-311-1374-SR20det 6 speed
69' Datsun SRL-311-12334-Solex 44 w/B cam
07' BMW Z4 coupe-Daily
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

Log style or custom. No matter what it will be custom, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend.
family_2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by family_2k »

I have an SR20DE S14 on the way and trying to determine the best source for parts. According to what I've read thus far, replacing several parts prior to getting things installed/running is recommended. Water pump, timing components, oil pump, etc.

What is directly available from Nissan? Can you reference a Sentra SE-R to find the correct parts? eBay seems to only have SR20DET parts these days. I know most parts are interchangeable but how do I know I am getting the correct part for my particular engine?

Sorry if this information is posted somewhere else, but I didn't find anything in the tech wiki. And, there is a LOT of information here in the swap section but it is posted across several posts. I have not seen any reference to OEM part numbers or a cross-referance for parts from other US models.

If anyone has a good resource here, or another one online any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
68 2000
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Hi Family_2K,

Congrats on the purchase of your SR20DE engine— you will find that this is a great swap for your Datsun roadster.

Unless you specifically see unusual wear on the timing components, there is no reason to change the timing chain. Service parts like the water pump are a no brainer, and are easy to get to while the engine is out. I often tell the story of my Sentra SE-R where the only non-tune up part that I replaced in 300,000 miles was a water pump.

Many internal components are available from Nissan if you search for a 1992 B13 Sentra SE-R (crank bearings, rings, etc.) as these are the same as the FWD units. For things like gasket kits, just order an OEM S14 SR20DET gasket kit off of eBay and it will have everything you need.

Like many things, Google is your friend here—- if you have a weird, odd-ball part that you need to find, there are lots of Japanese-Spec buying services that can get you what you need and ship directly to you— it is no big deal at all.

If you need any other assistance or converison parts for your project, we are always happy to help!

Michael
Www.spriso.com
Spriso Motorsports
SR20 Powered Roadsters
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

I see you are in Rancho Cucamonga. Go in to Fontana Nissan, to the parts counter, and ask for the Nismo shop. Someone will come out of the back. They actually carry most of the JDM parts for RWD SR20 (and RB motors)...

West Covina Nissan does the same thing..

Sometimes it will take a couple days, but often you can literally walk out with your part. Hope that helps..
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

PS: I agree with Michael. Water Pump, probably the oil pan, depending on how it was shipped.. Otherwise, run it, change the oil in 500 mile..
family_2k

Post by family_2k »

Thanks for all the advise. As always, this forum is a great resource. I'll give is thorough cleaning and change the obvious and look forward to running it!!!

Just gotta get the frame modified. And, of course ALL the other stuff, but starting the journey and excited to get behind the wheel!

Thank you for the recommendation for the Fontana and West Covina dealers. I know back several years ago West Covina was always a good resource for OEM roadster parts. But, that was a long time ago. Good to hear they are still strong with parts. Fontana is real close so I'll give them a shot.

Good to see we got some good support here in the IE.
68 2000
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

From experience...Change whatever seals you can access easily. Front and rear crank shaft seals, valve cover gasket etc. Probably be least expensive to buy an engine gasket kit and be covered with everything. I did no more than pull the valve cover and oil pan to visually inspect the internals, saw nothing alarming, called it good. She started right away and runs great! Should've changed more gaskets at that time though, engine had sat 10+years. That has been resolved now.

BTW, Spriso is an invaluable resource for parts and info that will make the swap process as clean and easy as possible.

Wiring Specialties makes wonderful, plug and play wiring harnesses.

I Love my sr20 car, the process is only the start of the fun!

http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17915

FWIW,

Pat
family_2k

Post by family_2k »

I'll grab a gasket kit and go! And make sure the rest are good when the engine arrives. Thanks all!
68 2000
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

This is a great write up. Ive enjoyed reading it and i bet anyone considering the swap will find this invaluable. nice job!
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Dan wrote:
This is a great write up. Ive enjoyed reading it and i bet anyone considering the swap will find this invaluable. nice job!
Thanks Dan-- over the years I have received so many of the same questions, so I'm just trying to get some info out there for people considering the SR20DE/SR20DET swap for their roadster. The number one thing that I hope people remember is that they are not out there trying to do something that's never been done-- we have solutions for common fitment issues and support information on common issues, which makes things much easier for first time (or even seasoned swappers!)

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
SR20 Powered Roadsters