Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

What is this part of the frame?

Post by Conner »

Probably a simple question, but what is the part of the frame? There is not a symmetrical piece on the other rear wheel area. Does it have to do with the e-brake?

Thank you.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Andy:

If I am focusing on the same area as you, that is indeed part of the hand brake linkage.

jorge
TR

Post by TR »

That's the torque strut, there's only one...It helps keep the leaf springs from twisting due to the resulting torque on the axle caused by the tractive work of the tires. Early cars didn't have it, it was introduced in 67.5 with the 2L.

The twisting results in a weird hopping feeling during rapid acceleration if the strut is not there.

BTW - What html do you use to put a pic in a post?
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Ok, I was NOT focusing on the same thing as you guys! I was looking "through the circle" to the back part, not to the torque bar mount.......my appologies.

Jorge
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Thanks very much. That explains it.

To post pics I host the pics elsewhere and them just wrap the image tags around the html address of the picture.
You can wrap the IMG tags around the address text automatically in the post editor by selecting the text of the html address of the picture (for this picture I used "http://home.austin.rr.com/conner1914/part.jpg" without quotes as the address of the picture) and then clicking the "Img" button while you have the text selected. The "Img" button is second from the right in the menu of buttons right under the "Subject" line of your new post.

I hope that's clear. I can't give a full example of the text without it replacing the code with the picture because I don't know how to "comment out" lines of code in this editor.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
TR

Post by TR »

Cool, thanks! TR
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

You mean that's not part of the optional S/brake :wink: .. Bill
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

TR wrote:That's the torque strut, there's only one...<snip> it was introduced in 67.5 with the 2L.
It was also on the two 67.5 1600s I've had personal experience with.
Bucky
TR

Post by TR »

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for any confusion...

Introduced on the 67.5 2L and incorporated on all models at that time...