Newb racer questions

For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Newb racer questions

Post by Gregs672000 »

I'm afraid I have no experience with adjustable cam timing for the R16 engines, but I would imagine that setting it up is similar to what any similar pushrod engine would be. But you have no idea what you have so it's hard to know what to do. I suggest you run her the way she is for the rest of the season, then pull the engine in the off season and at least pull the cam and have it profiled. Delta cam in Tacoma WA can, or maybe Isky in CA. Then you would know what you have and where it should make power. Then either learn how to check timing on your cam or have someone do it. Â few degrees one way or another can make a lot of difference as to where it makes power, etc. Playing with timing and carbs won't solve cam timing issues... ask me how I know!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

BTW, even if the engine was built by a reputable shop, they make mistakes. I worked on a 1600 race car that just would not rev. Engine was built by a very reputable race shop in Seattle. I finally figured out that they had installed the cam one tooth off and had never checked cam timing. Needless to say, the engine was completely different with the cam timed to stock position! Not saying that's your problem, but you simply don't know what you have until you dig into it yourself.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
rahjr60
Roadster Fanatic

Post by rahjr60 »

I think I will wait until the off season to do anything major. I'll either take a crack at it myself or take it to Sam Neave of LNA Engineering. He's more of a Z guy now. but he has built roadsters in the past also. Thanks again for the input.
Al

67.5 SPL F/Prod Race Car #23
67.5 SRL(00246) F/Prod Race car #00
69 SRL Driver
69 SRL Project
65 Ford Falcon Sedan Delivery Deluxe Project
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Yep, keep after It! The more you mess, the more you learn! I'm certainly no "expert", but I've messed around enough to be dangerous :mrgreen:
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

Sort of a racing question ... Does blipping help? What I mean is on the down-shift, does blipping/reving the motor with the clutch out (pedal up) make it easier to get into the lower gear? Does it help anything else, like reduce wear on the synchro-meshs?
Decades ago I drove bus with no synchros so needed to double clutch ... or with practice no-clutch. I got into the habit of blipping with my old car, and now with the roadster the habit has come back. More curious than anything else. Maybe one day I'll get onto the college slalom course or down to the Mission raceway here in BC
Ralph

Rolling restoration of white 1968 SPL311
troyt
Roadster Fanatic

Post by troyt »

If you mean blipping the throttle while the clutch pedal is 'in', then yes. It's the three pedal maneuver referred to as heel-and-toe.
Brakes on, clutch in, revs drop, blip throttle to raise revs, downshift, let out clutch. Easier on gearbox, driveshaft, diff, axles...
TroyT
RacingOnTheCheap
'69 SRL311 street car (for sale)
'79 Lola T492
'65 Bobsy SR3
-swap what you want, it's your car-
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

Almost...I've been blipping the throttle with the gear box in neutral & clutch out. Missed the being in neutral part
Ralph

George H
Roadster Fanatic

Post by George H »

Blipping the throttle with the clutch out in neutral synchs your gears. If you do it with clutch down you only rev match engine speed to transmission output speed. Racers usually don't do the double clutch but some do. The double clutch saves wear on the synchros and makes engaging the down shift so smooth. I learned it by first double clutching and then learned to do it with heal and toe. I had my friend who races ride along with me on a track and I do the double clutch so quickly he never noticed the double clutch.
George
67 2000
69 2000
76 620 K/Cab
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

George H wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:42 pm Blipping the throttle with the clutch out in neutral synchs your gears. If you do it with clutch down you only rev match engine speed to transmission output speed.
True, but the clutch only needs to be dragging, even less than enough to make the car move, to synchronize the input shaft and cluster gears as this requires much less energy. I am not talented in this, but I believe its more a smooth operation.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
George H
Roadster Fanatic

Post by George H »

I have watched on board video of John Morton racing and he double clutches. If you have a weak synchro it makes a huge difference.
George
67 2000
69 2000
76 620 K/Cab
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

OK..thank you. One habit from my youth I don’t need to break
Ralph

2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

so is it offseason time? Lets get the summary for the year.

I have my fingers crossed that I will have my Roadster ready for VARA- University in January
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
rahjr60
Roadster Fanatic

Post by rahjr60 »

Well, I thought we were in the off season when hurricane Michael forced cancellation of our last race at VIR, but the NC region and VIR got together and rescheduled for 12/7-8. I'm not sure if I will run that one or not. I'm meeting with the guy that has helped me some with the car this week at his shop to discuss what to do in the off season. I've talked to a couple of engine builders if I decide to go full rebuild. As far as the season, I consider it a success. Completed school, ran 4 race weekends and got my national license. Finished 3rd in SE Division points for F/Production. That accomplishment is less a factor of speed and skill as it is more related to low car counts, the car didn't break, and only one off course excursion the whole season. I was happy that each weekend I improved my best lap time from the previous race at both tracks I ran this year (VIR and RRR) I plan to spend some money in the off season to try to get the car up to power so I can be more competitive next year (along with seat time).

Simon - Did you end up finding a race car or are you going to build from your street car?
Al

67.5 SPL F/Prod Race Car #23
67.5 SRL(00246) F/Prod Race car #00
69 SRL Driver
69 SRL Project
65 Ford Falcon Sedan Delivery Deluxe Project
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

rahjr60 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:08 pm Simon - Did you end up finding a race car or are you going to build from your street car?
Your season definitely sounds successful. You will find speed, but reliability and not breaking are more important.

As for me, Im just trying to enjoy the car. There has been some frustrations recently and I got some good miles on it this last weekend. Hopefully when I decide to do a canyon run or something along those lines the car wont complain. When shes running good, I have no intentions of selling and shes running good right now
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
troyt
Roadster Fanatic

Post by troyt »

The VARA off-season just started as we had our last race just last weekend at Willow Springs. And it's a very short off-season this year as VARA's first race in 2019 is in January at Auto Club Speedway. The February VARA-U isn't that far away either. I'll be leading the Rookie Class as usual, and we always love seeing more Datsun's at the School. Day one is tough on the car though, so make sure everything is in in tip-top shape. Day one includes slalom exercises, braking exercises, skidpad exercises, and plenty of track time. We usually recommend either bringing a street car, or if using a race car/old car, to bring a friend/mechanic to help keep the car going while you are in the classroom sessions. Nothing worse that wasting a whole school wknd trying to keep an old race car from overheating, having to push start it all day, etc...
TroyT
RacingOnTheCheap
'69 SRL311 street car (for sale)
'79 Lola T492
'65 Bobsy SR3
-swap what you want, it's your car-