66 Roadster project

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

fatmatt
Roadster Nut

66 Roadster project

Post by fatmatt »

A 66 Roadster has been sitting, neglected in a driveway near my work for many years now. When a debris box appeared on the curb and a big pile of appliances and boxes showed up in the driveway I figured I ought to stop in say hi. Just as I rolled up the kid that lived there was leaving for work. He indicated that they needed to get rid of it real soon but he had to talk to his brother about it first. He e-mailed me the next day. The car was his fathers who had recently passed away and they needed it gone in a couple days. $500. I met him with the cash the next day (today actually) and got to give the car a better inspection then I did previously. I was expecting significant rot and perhaps serious mechanical issues but so far it is looking pretty darned good. Despite sitting outdoors for a very long time with a deteriorated roof, the floors are solid and rust free. Only a couple small rust spots on the body, the leading, lower edge of the hood is rusted through along the entire length, and there is one fist sized hole of rot behind the right front quarter panel where water has been accumulating over the years. Frame and undercarriage appear completely solid. There was a receipt for a service from right before it was parked in 2001 in the glovebox. The oil still looks brand new, brakes feel solid but battery is dead and clutch pedal goes to the floor. Reservoir is dry. Hopefully I can top it off and it will come back to life. E-brake feels frozen and car won't move so I'll probably have to get it towed. Interior looks fantastic except for some rust on some chrome trim pieces and the door cards are warped. Can't wait to get it home and start cleaning it up!
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Re: 66 Roadster project

Post by fatmatt »

Had her towed home today. Turns out she's completely out of the DMV system so no back fees. Put in a new battery and starting fluid and it fired right up. Still gonna drain the tank.
The clutch goes all the way to the floor though. I topped off the reservoir and pumped it a bunch of times but, no love. I've never had a hydraulic clutch before, any suggestions?
devo
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by devo »

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I'd go ahead and get a new clutch master, slave and hose. Replace it all and start new. All these components are addressed in the Tech wiki, and available for very reasonable amounts. I would be prepared to do the same with the Brake hydraulics, thought those will be considerably more money.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

Thanks guys. I was really hoping you'd suggest something along the lines of "tap it with a hammer" but I'm sure your answer is far more effective.
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

Next question - What size is the allen head for the fuel tank drain? Is it a 6.5mm? It's between 6 and 7 and a 1/4" allen is just a bit small.
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

Not sure on the drain plug size, sorry. I just wanted to comment on your new project. Thats exciting and looks pretty good especially for 500 bucks. Congrats.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

fatmatt wrote:Thanks guys. I was really hoping you'd suggest something along the lines of "tap it with a hammer" but I'm sure your answer is far more effective.
Did you open the bleeder on the slave?
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

pebbles wrote:
fatmatt wrote:Thanks guys. I was really hoping you'd suggest something along the lines of "tap it with a hammer" but I'm sure your answer is far more effective.
Did you open the bleeder on the slave?
Nope. You think it's possible I might just bleed it and it'll work. I'm willing to try.
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

fatmatt wrote: Nope. You think it's possible I might just bleed it and it'll work. I'm willing to try.
It's very easy and inexpensive to change the slave cylinder. I would guess that if you bleed it, that might work too (basically if it makes a puddle you need new stuff if not work with what you got)
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

I'm about to try it solo, just running back and forth a lot.
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

fatmatt wrote:I'm about to try it solo, just running back and forth a lot.
I also did it solo. Just connect a rubber hose to the nipple and put he end in a jam jar placed on the ground. Then just crack the screw, fill the receiver and start pumping the clutch. Good luck!
Instagram!!!
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

No luck. Fluid is coming out of the bleeder in a very slow trickle and it's not developing any hydraulic pressure.
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

trickle is normal. no leakage is a good sign also. try closing the bleeder and wedge a board between the seat and the pedal. open the bleeder. close the bleeder. remove board. repeat. it may take a few cycles but you will get pressure or a leak. take a look at where the rod meets the pedal arm for leaks.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

If it turns out to be the master, the good news is they are much cheaper than the $450 twin tank brake master.
Instagram!!!