Parts washer solvents that work (In CA)

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

AltxF4
Roadster Fanatic

Parts washer solvents that work (In CA)

Post by AltxF4 »

In the near future I will start to undertake the removal and cleaning of my front suspension components....nice and grimey!
Right now I have a 33 gal washer with about 15 gal left of some really really really old Safety-Kleen. While I love Safety-Kleen, this stuff in there has about had it, and I would lose a lot of it if I filtered out all the suspended solids and then be right back in the same boat with such a diminished capacity. I can't get real safety-Kleen in California any more.

Does anybody know of anything that works good that can be bought in CA...Maybe even something that could be compatible with my existing safety-Kleen?
AltxF4
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Parts washer solvents that work (In CA)

Post by AltxF4 »

hmmm... now I see the Garage and tool tips sub forum. This should probably be moved there.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

I've only used stoddard solvent in mine, works, but you must use gloves unless you like your hands to tingle for a few hours! I too would like to find an alternative. Mike
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
bmccarthy67
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by bmccarthy67 »

I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Simply Green and use it cut with water as about a 25/75 mix. I let the greasy parts soak a few days and then turn the pump on and clean off the residue with a variety of brushes. Easy to purchase and safe at disposal time.

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

bmccarthy67 wrote:I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Simply Green and use it cut with water as about a 25/75 mix. I let the greasy parts soak a few days and then turn the pump on and clean off the residue with a variety of brushes. Easy to purchase and safe at disposal time.

v/r
Buddy

When this comes up on another forum the comment is always made that the water based cleaners start to stink if not used in a week or two.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
bmccarthy67

Post by bmccarthy67 »

Well after you said that I went and opened the lid on the old HF parts washer...smells like Simple Green (the current mix has been in about 3+ months). I do know that when I deployed once for 15 months I didn't empty the washer and the liquid evaporated and left a smelly thick oil sludge that clogged the sprayer pick up (that was nasty to scrape out and actually ate the blue paint from the washer). I would love to use a stronger solvent to speed up cleaning parts, but there really isn't anywhere in my area to dispose of harsh chemicals. Our fire department does a open turn in day of hazardous materials about once a year, but I always miss their amnesty day...

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

When I did my front suspension tear down, I went cheap O and put a half gallon of diesel in a plastic bin, it did the whole shooting match and air dries to a nice clean film. Several parts wiped so clean with paper towels (once dried) that I rattle canned them as is. Disposal was courtesy of a local hazmat collection day, but I was tempted to strain out the solids and put the rest into the tank of a friends diesel dually. (Would that just load up the filters?)
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
kndroy
Roadster Nut

Post by kndroy »

I use zep purple (simple green doesn't work) in hot water to remove the heavy grime. This stuff is strong, at least it used to be and will bother your skin so use gloves. I soak part in a bucket then transfer to a large flat container like you can buy in the stucco and drywall section of home depot and wire brush it. Repeat until most everything is removed, rinse, dry then either sand blasting for painted parts or into the kerosene for mechanical parts. For the kerosene I have a two containers; one for first cleaning and one for final cleaning. As fluid from the final cleaning container gets dirty it goes to the first cleaning container. When the first cleaning solvent gets too dirty I use it to clean concrete stains, tar removal, bike chains, ect. It evaporates but leaves a nice oil coating so it's great to wipe off you rims and clean dirty chains on your bike or motorcycle. No need for a parts cleaner. I pour into plastic tub to clean and back into metal cans to save fluid.
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

I've been using jet-a...

Cheap and works quite well!