rusted rear wheel well lip

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

samster

rusted rear wheel well lip

Post by samster »

Hello,
I have a 70 1600. The passenger side rear wheel well lip is rusted badly. Is there a patch panel from another datsun, or perhaps another make of car that will replace this, or do most people just use filler?
Thanks.
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

Personally, I would weld in a backing patch (copied from the drivers side), body lead and file shape it back to the original lip contours. High build urethane filler/prime and then finish coat.

Ray B.
glennhuff
Roadster Fanatic

Post by glennhuff »

I had the same problem on both sides. One side I cut a patch that fit perfectly in the hole. On the other side I just cut it slightly larger and welded it to the bakcof the panel. Either way make sure that you cut out all of the old rust first. Once that patches are welded in (or brazed) you can work the metal out with a hammer and dolly, and cover with a thin layer of filler.

The only problem with this method is that you don't actually tie the inner fender back to the quarter panel. The quarter is rusted right where the inner fender is pinch welded to the outer. That's why it rusts there. If you come up with a good way to repair the inner fender, let us know.

Glenn