At what point do you sell a project? Advice needed

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

punkzdriver
Roadster Fanatic

At what point do you sell a project? Advice needed

Post by punkzdriver »

Hi,
I bought my Roadster sight-unseen back in the summer of 2012. My wife wasnt happy about it, and since then, for many other reasons she hasnt been very happy with me. These other reasons have us going through some major life changes. Now, I am highly debating / sort of being forced to sell my car. Not 100% sure about selling it yet, but seems that way. But here is the thing, its been a project since I got it, and is still in at an in-between stage. I dont know if it is better to sell it as it currently sits, or finish the projects I have with it now. I know putting money into the car wont be exactly returned, but some might help the sale. Non-stock not even sure what I can get for it. It was always being built as a functional driver.

The car is a 1967.5 1600. It doesnt have the stock engine/tranny in it. It was replaced with a low mileage R16/4-speed motorset from a '68.
Mechanically, a lot was changed/upgraded/replaced from the stock set-up making it less original but more reliable. All were replaced over the last two years:
Champion aluminum radiator
GM alternator
El Dizzy with wires
Weber 40 DCOE carbs on Cannon intake
gear reduction short starter
stock sized exhaust header heat wrapped
custom exhaust with magnaflow muffler
Painless fuse box
Spriso 300zx front brake kit using aluminum 26mm calipers
OEM 3/4 MC was rebuilt
rear brakes were serviced
Rota hyperblack wheels with caps
Yokohama tires
Nardi wood steering wheel w. NISMO horn button
Nissan walnut 4 speed shift knob
2000 full clutch kit with new slave cylinder
When transmission was replaced, it was cleaned and had all gaskets replaced
Mike Young front springs
KYB struts at all four corners
ES red boots on front suspension
sway bar (stock size) bushings were replaced
Chrome on tail lights, reflectors, license plate lamp all replaced with very clean parts
headlight bezels were painted gunmetal by PO
Rear bumper has bumprettes removed (still have them) but chrome is good
front bumper removed but no longer have
yellow round fog lights mounted on body
Car has a port hole hard top that doesnt seal well but functions. I have a soft top frames, a new soft top to be mounted to a frame.
also have an older top boot.

This past winter was spent re-doing the interior. All panels were re-done using a combination of corroplast, closed cell foam, and either marine-grade black vinyl or black alcantara (fake suede). Dean's black carpet was installed on top of fat mat (dynamat equivalent). A set of brand new Corbeau Classic seats were installed with seat heaters.

Currently, the car still has the 67.5 Dash installed, but that was painted to match the car's exterior by a PO, and all of the gauges have been removed by me. I was/am in the process of replacing it with a 66 dash with brand new custom Speedhut gauges with a stock look, and Dean's wood-grain overlay and black dash pad. The seat heater switches still need to be installed/wired but are set to go where the stock radio WAS. Speakers were installed when I re-did the interior in the side panels behind the seats and upfront in the two "triangles". I have a non-stock radio that I was going to install in the glove box. I have all new windshield gaskets (the kit Dean sells when replacing the dash). I was also going to replace the stock steering box with the one from the 66 as it was tighter and the bushings are better. I have new gaskets for that.
So, the car isnt finished, and doesnt start or run because the ignition isnt set up and the dashes havent been switched yet.
The car also has a bit of rust. The frame is good. But there were some holes by the pedals that were quickly patched when doing the carpet. Both front fenders have rust where they bolt to the rocker panels...but I have a pair of clean fenders that I bought from MCB. Rust also in rear panels with the worst being on passenger's side where there are holes through trunk well.
The car was must have been hit in the front once because you can see a "seam" on the hood

Not sure what I can get for the car as it sits. I think it would be an easier sell in many ways if I can complete the dash, and hook up the ignition so the car runs. But, I could also sell it as is as an unfinished project so someone can finish it to their taste.

Thoughts?
Waiting for the bugs to be worked out...
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Re: At what point do you sell a project? Advice needed

Post by spl310 »

Make it a presentable driver
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Agree with Sid, while you may not recoup your investment, you will net a much higher percentage if drivable. Maybe you can invest minimal funds and some of your labor to increase your returns. Sorry you may have to sell, but GLWS if you do. Mike
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Get it drive-able, take the wife for a romantic afternoon evening drive, and win her on board with it.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
punkzdriver
Roadster Fanatic

Post by punkzdriver »

C.Costine wrote:Get it drive-able, take the wife for a romantic afternoon evening drive, and win her on board with it.
Unfortunately, that ship has sailed a very long time ago...the 2nd part.
Waiting for the bugs to be worked out...
PBJ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by PBJ »

Honestly, you probably know the answer already, but if it needs to get out of your life so the focus can be on more important things then it probably has to go in its current state just to speed up the process. If you really want to keep it then keep it and figure out the relationship/other side so it can be acceptable. Probably not worth putting in a ton more work that is causing animosity with out going with one of those two options first.
Josh
1968 1600 - Frame-on restoration.
1970 VW Bug - Long Course Offroad car in Class 11 build configuration
1995 BMW 318ti - Short course Rallyx Car with s50 M3 swap
2006 Subaru WRX - Daily driver and occasional Ice Racer.
Nolan1600
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Nolan1600 »

it really just depends on what your willing to take for it. You will get thousands more with it drive-able. But if your willing to sell it cheap now to get rid of it, there are people willing to take on a project.

-Chris
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

I'd say get some counseling for the relationship since that is most important, and out of that you might be able to work out the best option.
Good luck.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Been there, done that. My humble advice would be to get rid of it ASAP and move on. Your time right now is probably more valuable than whatever "extra" you could get out of the car by finishing it.
Don't despair too much - there will be other projects and other opportunities for you down the road.
Good luck!
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

+1 for Linda.

Running is you best bet......put the stock gauges back in and hook-up the best you can in a few hours.
put in some seats, cover with a towel or t-shirt....add a pillow if the padding is shot and make her run....hot wired if necessary.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Do you need the money, or can it be stored or mothballed until the storm passes? Sorry to hear of your life struggles... I too have been there, and no matter what it pretty much sucks. Time does pass and things will get better. I learned more about life and planning restoring cars than just about anything else... You may want a project before long as part of your upcoming "journey". Guys need to solve problems, and this might be a good therapy for you! Take it from a therapist!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
dbbrian
Roadster Newby

Post by dbbrian »

Totally agree with Greg. If focusing on the relationship is needed, see if you can put aside the car and see what happens. It sounds like this has been quite the hobby for you, and if you are not receiving support for what you like / love to do for interests to keep you happy, then there's something to that to consider. Don't give up yourself, you will only end up full of resentment.
Hopeful searcher
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

No car is worth a relationship and I really mean that. I know there are a whole bunch of jokes about it but they're really just irony, not really funny/realistic. If you took the time to get married to someone and/or commit to children, that's worth many hundreds of thousands of $$$.

The thing about a project car is you have to put a LOT of time into it to get back a very small amount of money. Not worth it - sell as is - just take sure you take a LOT of photos, and if you can get get a complete inventory that helps a lot.

James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

jamesw wrote:No car is worth a relationship and I really mean that. I know there are a whole bunch of jokes about it but they're really just irony, not really funny/realistic. If you took the time to get married to someone and/or commit to children, that's worth many hundreds of thousands of $$$.

The thing about a project car is you have to put a LOT of time into it to get back a very small amount of money. Not worth it - sell as is - just take sure you take a LOT of photos, and if you can get get a complete inventory that helps a lot.

James
^ Seriously.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by greydog »

I agree. Document what you have. Consider selling the parts or the whole. Move on with your life.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan