Rear end shudder

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jarhead
Roadster Enthusiast

Re: Rear end shudder

Post by jarhead »

Dammit. More work. second gear synchro is fried anyway. I think the problem is an oil leak.

would it be wise to swap a 5 speed?
Lee
'66 SPL311-00676
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

you mean swap in another unknown 5speed? Guess that will depend on what the trans guy says. sometimes the synchros can be flipped and reused depending on trans type. More than likely though a used 5 speed may need a rebuild as well... and it may not show an issue for a few miles... and you'll be doing it YET AGAIN, yippie!

Your car is testing you to see if you really love her...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

As Greg said, swapping in a mystery transmission is a gamble. I really enjoy a 1600 4 speed for everything except long highway drives. 1st gear in the 5 speed is a bit high. That said, if you need one, I have a spare 5 speed and conversion parts if you need one. Would be best to go through it and check everything and then install, but it came from a running car. People doing engine swaps sell off the originals, but shipping can be a bit high. If needed, there is a transmission/repair shop in Northern New Jersey that REALLY knows how to fix a roadster, owner has one and knows the ins and outs.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit