Shock/spring Input

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Cochecita
Roadster Nut

Shock/spring Input

Post by Cochecita »

Hi All,
I'm planning on replacing my shocks and Springs in my 68' 1600 here in the near future and would like a little input on what people are running. I'm thinking KYB GR2 and Mike Young's Springs. Anyone else running this setup? It's not an auto-xer and i'm just looking for a good ride and some curve hugging. Recently, my setup has left me with a significant THUMP when I hit any bumps in the road, so I'm guessing I need to investigate the shocks and such.

For what it's worth, cross checking some part numbers on the web, it looks like the roadster shocks are the same as an early 80's dodge.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mmp/d ... parts.html

Happy Roadstering
Eddie
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Mikes springs are nice, I have a set of prototypes on my car, and the look is great. I have Koni dampers all the way around. I also run comp springs in the back, the ride is low, but manageable if you are careful.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

FWIW, I have Mike's springs in front and the Nissan comps in the back with KYB GR2s on both ends. The car is not (even close to) drivable yet, but just bouncing the car indicates the back is pretty well damped, while the front bounces a bit before stopping. My guess is that the front is under-damped. I went with the GR2s because of price (Summit, under $90 delivered), and I will probably dump them when I can afford anything better. :roll:

As a side note, while the car looks like it's nose high, a spirit level on the floorboards shows they're actually level. Since the car won't be used for street, I may do something to lower the front an inch or two.
Bucky
Cochecita
Roadster Nut

Post by Cochecita »

Thanks guys for the input.
Price was my big factor also, I thought the comp springs would offset the light shocks a little more. I haven't bought anything yet, so maybe i'll keep looking for a good deal on the full gas KYBs. I'm going to have to do something, it's kind of scary to drive as it is.

Have a good day.

eddie
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

You might need to let the springs settle to get a good stance, my car was like that but now looks flat, or perhaps a little lower up front, and I still have an oil pan as well.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!