Distributor recurve question.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Distributor recurve question.

Post by dbrick »

69 2000, was a smog car. OK, did the recurve, have the springs and weights in the right place, as far as I can tell, slight preload on both. No matter what I do, I don't really get the rotor to "snap back" when turned against spring pressure, seems a bit floppy. Car runs, but doesn't advance much when accellerated. Breaker plate is a little sticky, but rotates fine.

Base timing set to the third small line clockwise from the large line, should be 15 BTDC?

I overanalyzed the hell out of it for a while, but can't seem to find anything wrong, although now I can remove disassemble re assemble and install a distributor in an amazingly short time.

Any suggestions anyone?

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
oilleak

Post by oilleak »

It should have a little "free play" in it before the springs put tension enough to "snap back". Your initial advance is 15 degrees. The recurved distributor has another 15 degrees in it so by the time you're up to 3000 rpm you should be at 30 degrees total advance - ie, well off the scale on the pulley. Time it without the vacuum advance hooked up. Be sure that the dist. cam can rotate freely on it's spindle (to the limit of the advance mechanism). I've seen them where the cam is bound on the spindle and it won't advance.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

That could be it, I thought it was set with vacuum hose connected, which is a bit abnormal. Everything moves freely, so maybe reset with vac hose off will get it closer

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit