Tach Cable Seals and O-rings, was started as Any good rear main seal oil additives, that work?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

svwilbur
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Tach Cable Seals and O-rings, was started as Any good rear main seal oil additives, that work?

Post by svwilbur »

msampsel wrote:Stacey,

Will you allow me to do a "white glove" inspection under the cable if
I make it to Saul Vang (practice at spelling it like it sounds)? :D
if I make it with the datsun, sure, but you may want to use a black glove as I am not sure of anything anymore!

the fuse box melting thing is freaking me out.
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Tach Cable Seals and O-rings, was started as Any good rear main seal oil additives, that work?

Post by msampsel »

Yes well, anytime someone says to me, "that fix will last you a lifetime" (talking about my Datsun) the person must know something
about an imminent bad thing about to happen to me e.g. (short life expectancy) :o ... I provide sarcasm for no charge ...
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

svwilbur wrote:I need to loose some weight and stuff. seems like each generation is living shorter.
Good heavens I hope not! My father and mother both died at 52, and I'm 50...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

spl310 wrote:
svwilbur wrote:I need to loose some weight and stuff. seems like each generation is living shorter.
Good heavens I hope not! My father and mother both died at 52, and I'm 50...

Good gravy we all hope not, take good care we need you Sid!
spl310
Roadster Guru

Post by spl310 »

I have no delusions about my relevance. If I disappeared tomorrow, few would truly care. It is for those that I am working to stay here

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

I finally got to test drive the roadster and check for leaks after doing the tach pinion seals. it looks better. im not sure that it is completely dry.

there is not a drip from the thumb nut or cable but there was some oil residue/ weep on the black cable jacket.

the oil pan seems dry, I did a new gasket on that at the same time.

the oil line that comes down by the tach cable has a drip on it. I dont know if it is leaking or something else. I could only see that one drop on it. and it was dry before the test run.

I did try to tighten those nuts on it a week ago but it seemed pretty snug. I did not want to push my luck.

what is that oil line called?
do you have to make them up or does someone sell those?
do they have to be that curvy shape?
why not just a metal line?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stacey Wilbur
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

svwilbur wrote:I finally got to test drive the roadster and check for leaks after doing the tach pinion seals. it looks better. im not sure that it is completely dry.

there is not a drip from the thumb nut or cable but there was some oil residue/ weep on the black cable jacket.

the oil pan seems dry, I did a new gasket on that at the same time.

the oil line that comes down by the tach cable has a drip on it. I dont know if it is leaking or something else. I could only see that one drop on it. and it was dry before the test run.

I did try to tighten those nuts on it a week ago but it seemed pretty snug. I did not want to push my luck.

what is that oil line called?
do you have to make them up or does someone sell those?
do they have to be that curvy shape?
why not just a metal line?
Not being there to look, and owning an older car, I can't say for sure but I believe that the line is the distributor lubrication line. The older ones were a smaller diameter metal only line, and perhaps they were subject to cracking from vibration.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

yes it is the lube line to the distributor. I was wondering why it was not just metal, vibration is a good possibility. all the curves are funny too.

I think I may have one on another motor that I could try if it looks ok. or maybe sombody makes a new one or similar one?
Stacey Wilbur
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

actually it looks like datsunparts sells two versions of the "Distributor Oil Line" based on model year and engine numbers.
part 2489. for 69 1/2 to 70 2000s and part 2488 for 67 1/2 to 68 2000s.

I am not sure that either one looks correct to me.

they are just hardines so you could make your own I suppose.
Stacey Wilbur
spl310
Roadster Guru

Post by spl310 »

I don't know why Nissan made the oil line with a flex section. The solid lines worked great on all of the earlier 1500s and 1600s. I have yet to see one that failed.

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

svwilbur wrote:yes it is the lube line to the distributor. I was wondering why it was not just metal, vibration is a good possibility. all the curves are funny too.

I think I may have one on another motor that I could try if it looks ok. or maybe sombody makes a new one or similar one?
I had mine redone at a hydraulic line company. They had no problem working with my stock parts.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
msampsel

Re: Any good rear main seal oil additives, that work?

Post by msampsel »

dbrick wrote:The leaks I see the most are the distributor area or the oil passage at the back of the head, it runs down and back and looks like a rear main. Clean it all and recheck to be sure. If it's still a small leak, I'd tolerate the free rust preventative and park on cardboard.
If you're not sure, clean well and spray with spray foot powder. Any leaks leave a track in the powder residue. Cleans off easilly

If it is the rear main, here's food for thought, seems like a great logical fix, and a whole lot easier than pulling the engine.
From a muscle car site, but applies.
The Pontiac factory service bulletin detailed the following fix. I've done it a few times now and it works better than the other methods.

1) Pull the pan and remove the rear main cap only.

2) take a soft brass drift and bump the ends of the seal that remains in the block back up into the block about 3/16 of an inch. This will swell the seal in the block and make it seal tight again.

3) Remove the old seal from the cap and roll in the new seal. When you trim it, use a fresh razor blade and cut the seal about1/4" over long on each side. Use a fresh blade for each cut to make it nice and neat.

4) apply some RTV to each of the cut ends and the parting line. feed the ends into the spaces in the block and torque the cap down.

5) reassembly is reverse of disassembly.
dbrick,
Great Idea here! Have some questions ...

A.) Can the main cap only work? Guess it can be removed without removing oil pump (suspect I need to order pump gasket just in case)?
B.) Any particular RTV for this job?
C.) And the parting line (referring to the purple colored text above) is what? Is this the area between the seal and the bearing cap metal?

My leak is a humble circle the size of a half dollar seems to drip right beneath the plate on the transmission.
Seems likely to be the rear main seal. But I can live with it for now ... gathering info though just in case I wake up at night
and want to work on the Datsun!
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)