4 POINT HARNESS

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

glennhuff
Roadster Fanatic

4 POINT HARNESS

Post by glennhuff »

For the sake of safety, I want to put harnesses in my roadster. I used them in my RX-7, and I really liked the feeling of being strapped in. Has anyone installed them with a stock type roll bar? I am wondering about mounting the shoulder straps. I am having my roll bar custom made, and I'm wondering if I should put a cross bar in it below the top hoop. Any ideas?

Glenn
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
glennhuff
Roadster Fanatic

Post by glennhuff »

Thanks Alvin,

That's exactly what I needed to know. Your pictures were helpful. I'm going to have a harness bar built in, right after he figures out how to get the bar up from the floorboards with the seats moved back 2 inches.

Glenn
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

I connected my harness through the rear bulkhead and onto a steel bar that extends back to the rear body mounting bolt.
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

Bolt on modification? I did use some bolts!
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I was planning on anchoring the belts just below the shelf on the vertical part and backup the mount with large steel bar or unistrut. Is the angle bad? They were wrap around shoulder straps converted to bolt in, so they are a bit short. Stock seats no headrests. By the way, does the buckle on a Simpson latch type belt matter which side it's on? Didn't think it did, but while I'm typing..

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

It doesn't matter which has the hook and which side has the latch I find it easier to have the hook on the right and the latch on the left.
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

Bolt on modification? I did use some bolts!
glennhuff
Roadster Fanatic

Post by glennhuff »

I have read somewhere else that the harness should mount at shoulder level. I'll definitley put a bar in. It looks like the hoop has to come up from the floor and then angle back to clear the seats. I guess since my seats have been moved back, I'll have to put a little more angle on it. Anyone have experience building a bar?
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

The import tuner magazines have all kinds of stuff, some bolt in with a hefty two bolt 360 degree clamp and then you cut the bar to length.

Plus you can find all kinds of cool wings, neon and spinny things that, when combined in the proper color combinations, will effectivly double your horsepower!!!

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit