Re: Timing chain replacement suggestions

Post by spyder »

spl310 wrote:I'd drop the crossmember.

Yep!
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

As noted, remove the trans mount completely. It is very tight in there, especially as you work around the shifter etc. it is a gradual process, where you lift some, pull forward, lift some more, wiggle, push, lift, drop, move, pull forward, etc... You get the idea! I usually lift the front about 20-30 degrees higher than the rear. Consider removing the front cross member that the rad attaches to, though the wires will hang there some, it allows you to pull the engine forward more and make reinstall easier.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
family_2k

Post by family_2k »

Crossmember off, engine/trans out. thank you. Now time to start the teardown and see what's next...
68 2000
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

FWIW - check the thread on the speedometer pinion carrier to make sure the threads are not damaged - also when reinstalling it all, make sure to cover those threads with tape at least or the top of a brake cleaner aoerosol can - all too easy to bang those threads and they are a real PITA to fix. Ask me how I know!!
While it seems that Kevin D can remove an engine with a piece of rope <G> I find an adjustable sling invaluable.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
family_2k

Post by family_2k »

It looks like everything survived the removal. Thanks for all the tips. I will keep them in mind during re-installation.

So, I have the head, clutch, and flywheel off and have been attempting to get the timing chain cover off as well. It seems quite stubborn. I am trying to be patient and remove it slowing but I can't seem to figure out what is still holding it on. I was able to push out all the gasket material so can now move my putty knife all the way around and through the water pump opening. It should be ready to pull out but it feels stuck on something. I am resisting prying since I know if I damage the cover it will mean more $$$ and I would prefer to do any harm to the block either.

Is it possible that the water pumps studs are rusted onto the cover holding it on (similar to what happened to my thermostat housing)?

I am open for any suggestions. Thank you in advance!
68 2000
spyder
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

"Is it possible that the water pumps studs are rusted onto the cover holding it on (similar to what happened to my thermostat housing)?"

Yes!
greydog
Model: 1500/1600

Post by greydog »

Might have been i nstalled with silicone sealer.
I found that removing the pan gave me a place to start to wiggle one free. Once tou get a little movement you can tell where its hanging up.
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
family_2k

Post by family_2k »

I was hoping the cover would come off easily, and maybe I just missed a bolt ot two. If the studs are rusted to the cover any good tips to loosen them? I had to drill holes in my t-stat housing to remove it but I don't really want to do that much damage to the cover.

Any tips or tricks to getting the cover off? I will start with the usual. Heat and PB blaster and see where that gets me. Not sure if the centering pins have a tendency of getting stuck as well. I can't really tell where it is stuck. There isn't a whole lot of movement.
68 2000
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Really hard to say... I would run a putty knife or similar along the seal and see what lifts up and where. I've never had much trouble.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

I am having the exact same problem. I even took the wp studs out and my cover still won't come off.
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
family_2k

Post by family_2k »

You are one step closer than I am. I haven't had the time to work on it lately, but hopefully I can make some progress this weekend. The whole thing seems to be stuck in place. I can get my putty knife between the cover and the block all the way around but is does not seem to want to come off. I am wondering if the centering pins (one in each side) are stuck as well. This really shouldn't be that though. But nothing seems easy on these cars either. Good luck Adian. If/when I get the cover off I will post how it happened.
68 2000
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

family_2k wrote:You are one step closer than I am. I haven't had the time to work on it lately, but hopefully I can make some progress this weekend. The whole thing seems to be stuck in place. I can get my putty knife between the cover and the block all the way around but is does not seem to want to come off. I am wondering if the centering pins (one in each side) are stuck as well. This really shouldn't be that though. But nothing seems easy on these cars either. Good luck Adian. If/when I get the cover off I will post how it happened.
It does sound then that you have some kind of adhesion to the water pump studs. There are a couple small locating pins (one on each side as I recall), bolts or studs that go through the head, studs or bolts that go through to the oil pan, but other than that it should just slide off...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
family_2k

Post by family_2k »

Quick update...I had some time to work on the cover and finally got it removed!!! I was able to get the water pump studs off and that gave me some wiggle room. It turns out that the cover was mostly stuck on the block centering pins. I cleaned them up, applied some heat and PB blaster and just worked the cover off with a screwdriver under my putty knife (so I wouldn't damage the cover). I was surprised how much the cover was sticking to the pins.
Although I really didn't want to pull apart the engine I am thankful I did. I found the lower chain guide broken off and sitting at the bottom of the cover. It broke off at bend next to the block. Also, one of the bolts holding the top chain guide was almost ground off from chain contact. I think I dodged a big bullet. Thankfully, I never tried starting it. Not sure how that bottom guide got enough force to break off..
Now the tough part, getting the courage to spend all the money for just the timing parts. I can appreciate and now understand why people swap to modern engines.
And, I think since I have ventured this far no real reason not to tear the rest of the engine apart.
68 2000
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I'm afraid the signs are saying that you're gonna be into a full rebuild here my friend. I certainly understand the swap idea given how expensive it can be to build a U when you have to do the gears. At least there is no extra fabrication, fuel pumps in the tank, electrical mods etc when you build a stock engine vs a swap. We'll help you no matter what direction you choose!
I have a guy who would love to build a fuel injected turbo R16...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA