Steering Box

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Andy Ross

Steering Box

Post by Andy Ross »

Some time ago I stripped down the steering box on my Roadster to find it half filled with an oil water mix. Consequently there is a bit of corrosion on the worm. I cleaned the shaft up to be left with a fairly clean shaft which contains quite a few pits. The box is the recirculating ball type and I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these. Also does anyone know where I could purchase a new worm from as I am finding it hard to find one down here. (I dont think there is a difference in the worm between LH & RH drive steering boxes)
Regards Andy.
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Steering Box

Post by S Allen »

Andy,

Never done one myself but you might want to contact Dean of Fairlady products or Dan of Ralleye. They would quite possibly have a new or refurbished worm gear. My brother recently rebuilt his steering box and had to get the rebuild kit from Ralleye as Fairlady Products did not carry the kit. It might be cheaper to pick up a steering box off of Ebay. The only problem is you never really know what you purchased until the goods arrive. Good luck.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth