Wiper Motor R/R - Any Tips?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Wiper Motor R/R - Any Tips?

Post by Dave »

So I need to replace the wiper motor on my 68. It looks to be a royal pain in the you know what. Anyone have any words of wisdom as far as accessing the thing goes? I laid my head in the passenger side footwell and looked up behind the center console. I can see it up there. Is this the best route to take or should I try to remove the glovebox liner and get at it from there?
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
toolsnob

wipers

Post by toolsnob »

Dave,

Have fun!

If you need another set let me know I have a couple.
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

I had a leaking heater core so I pulled the console in front of the heater fan/box. Than removed the fan/box to get the core repaired. Looked up under the dash and said to self, this is the time to pull the wiper moter, refurbish it and replace worn rubber bushings.

What was the question? Was it easy? Not real bad but time consuming. Oh yea, why drive topless in the rain!
TR

Post by TR »

Dave,

It is easiest to move to CA and only drive when it is not raining...

Seriously, though...The best way to get at the wiper motor is to put the car on a lift (upside down). Then you can stand under it instead lay on the floorboards.

To be totally serious, it is just not a fun item to maintenance. Lay something soft on the floor and across the door threshold. I've never tried to get at one through the glovebox...Interesting proposition, maybe someone else has?

I have the same task on the 'list of things to do' on my 66, so let me know any tricks you learn! This might be a three beer job...TR
sgriffin
Roadster Fanatic

ww motor

Post by sgriffin »

TR's suggestion is what worked for me. The additional item that I would add is to STAY CALM it's very aggravating. Sam
Sam E. Griffin
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do have a couple spare motors and linkages, so I'm set for parts. It's just getting it done that I'm worried about. Normally, I would not give a rats behind about it. I never drive in the rain and if I get caught out in a freak storm, I have Rain-X. However, I just found out that here in the North East, they have what's called "safety inspections." All your factory equipment like lighting, wipers, horn, etc. have to work. So, I have to get this fixed to pass that and get me car licensed out here. Good thing is, my Oregon plates are good until July, 2006. So, I have some time! :lol:

If anyone else has some tips, fire away!
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904