67.5 2000 Roadster Guide

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

fossil
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: 67.5 2000 Roadster Guide

Post by fossil »

According to the Rallye site the production of SRL 311 cars for the 67.5 model ran

67 SRL311 5/67 - 9/67

How could a wheel made 10/67 be on a production 67.5 car?

Stan
/////
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

Both gauges on car 195 have silver pointers

On car 225 with both silver and black pointers , I have both speedo and tac out of car to check for " date of manufacture "
My speedo has a stamp with the number 22067 , which could be read as Feb 20 1967 . My tac has the number 02C27 . This number can not be read as a date
Is there another stamp that I am missing ? Could these numbers be the technicians ID number who " qualified " that the gauges
We're accurate in both speed and rpm ?

Both gauges are stamped with Chinese lettering that says " Qualified " in English . I was surprised when my wife who is from China told it was Chinese writing . I'm trying to see if the writing could be the same in Japanese but no luck so far on Goggle
Maybe one of our members can read Japanese and help us with this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
All Gave Some - Some Gave All
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

fossil wrote:According to the Rallye site the production of SRL 311 cars for the 67.5 model ran

67 SRL311 5/67 - 9/67

How could a wheel made 10/67 be on a production 67.5 car?

Stan
/////
In the several conversations I've had with Dann over the years and information on his web site nothing seems to be set in stone. Could be they ran a little later or the wheels could be swapped, who knows with these guys.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
gmagana

Post by gmagana »

ted heaton wrote:Members, Thanks for all the posts and info today.

Gerardo, thanks for the wheel info.
Wheels are wheels, right?, NO, I was surprised to learn some time ago of the matter of "correct" OEM wheels for the 67.5 2000.
Here is some wheel info from a member who has researched the matter.

"Wider 4.5" rims become available to midyear 67 1600/67 2000. These become standard wheel size through end of run to 1970 model. As with earlier roadster model rims, the date code is stamped inside the rim (covered by tire), sometime in 1968 - after March the rims changed - the date was move to outside of rim (viewable) and a single seam appears along the radius."

SO for your 67 2000 roadster to have correct steel wheels they need to be 4.5" wide and with the wheel info
and date code stamped on the INSIDE of the rim AND the date be in the last half of 1967.

Ted.
The question is when was the real production cutoff date, when is the last half of 67 finish? Wheels would be correct for the 67.5 by the bold statement above- please see above for what Ted wrote, Is there a source for the actual documentation other than what is advertised on the net?? I doubt that they have the paperwork from Nissan, don't believe everything you read on the net or in print. Production dates were at best inaccurate and are usually a surmisal of the person writing it. The actual documentation would help to get this Wiki done and provide accuracy, otherwise it would be hard to figure out exactly where the production changeover date occurred for the 68 Model year. If thats the case then we can only assume that maybe wheels up to October were correct, what about the dealer option wheels?? so many things to cover. Stan you're a proclaimed expert on materials, colors and finishes, and since you know colors and materials well would you care to do the dealer option wheel for this Wiki?? Maybe you could post a pic of your car and get it up here, I do believe it has those wheels.
Poobah
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Poobah »

Would it be possible to get the pictures put into the Photo Album? Maybe a Tech Wiki Article could be published.

Steve
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

@ Datsun440 I wanted to know what happened to that roadster do you have any pictures? The Griffin Bros. brought that roller to Solvang
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
ted heaton

Post by ted heaton »

Stan and Gerardo,

We need the expertise of both of you in completing the guide.
This determination, if possible, of the actual 67.5 production end date would be great but not crucial to the guide.
I mean, we do not dismount tires and check the date stamped inside the wheel for show judging!.
And hopefully our roadsters will never be involved in that level of excessive inspection.
We can resolve the issue in a positive manner and that will be better for everyone.

BTY my statement of wheels thru the end of 67 must be too broad. I am no expert on the matter but I am learning through this process.

Thanks for your help and keep up the contributions.

Ted.
Ted Heaton
Bellevue, Washington
DROPS (Datsun Roadster Owners of Puget Sound)
SPL31003054 1964 1500
SPL31112958 1967.5 1600 S15 SR20DET
SRL31105015 1968 2000 S13 SR20DET
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

One more electrical thing. Hazard flashers.

Even though it says in the owner's manual they are an option they have been on all the harnesses I have seen so far. The dash harness is set up to use one flasher can for both the turn and flashers. At some point Datsun added a little harness between the dash harness and the flasher switch which allows you to use a second flasher can.

Oh and as I have noted before I have yet to see it on any of the schematics available. If someone ever finds a 67 2000 schematic that shows it I would like a copy.
66 stroker, almost done.
gmagana

Post by gmagana »

Curtis wrote:One more electrical thing. Hazard flashers.

Even though it says in the owner's manual they are an option they have been on all the harnesses I have seen so far. The dash harness is set up to use one flasher can for both the turn and flashers. At some point Datsun added a little harness between the dash harness and the flasher switch which allows you to use a second flasher can.

Oh and as I have noted before I have yet to see it on any of the schematics available. If someone ever finds a 67 2000 schematic that shows it I would like a copy.
Hello Curtis the hazard signal switch was an option for the Japanese cars. The Japanese cars did not come with a hazard signal switch, Japanese 67 and a half cars the hazard signal switch was an option. In addition the Japanese cars had the teardrop markers on the fenders.
Last edited by gmagana on Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun 440
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsun 440 »

Alvin this is the car .Had Ross @Sports Imports finish the restoration.

Arnold
Datsun 440
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsun 440 »

Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

gmagana wrote:
Curtis wrote:One more electrical thing. Hazard flashers.

Hello Curtis the hazard signal switch was an option for the Japanese cars. The Japanese cars did not come with a hazard signal switch, Japanese 67 and a half cars the hazard signal switch was an option. In addition the Japanese cars had the teardrop markers on the fenders.
I know about the teardrops.

The owner's manual on here in the wiki says optional. I wouldn't know either way but the schematic don't show them either. I don't think any of my 60's US cars had them. They're easy as can be to add to the 66-67 cars though. I made an adapter and added them to mine.
66 stroker, almost done.
sports imports
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by sports imports »

What an interesting car 00057 was to put together. The coolest piece was the NOS radio, antenna, and speaker, along with the key for unlocking the antenna. There was a pile of new old stock parts that came with that project. I am glad I told Arnold when it came up for sale. it took us nine months to get it across the border as the paperwork was not quite in order. Always make sure the paperwork is up to date.

Ross
sports imports
caraddict

Post by caraddict »

jacksonfdny wrote:Both gauges on car 195 have silver pointers

On car 225 with both silver and black pointers , I have both speedo and tac out of car to check for " date of manufacture "
My speedo has a stamp with the number 22067 , which could be read as Feb 20 1967 . My tac has the number 02C27 . This number can not be read as a date
Is there another stamp that I am missing ? Could these numbers be the technicians ID number who " qualified " that the gauges
We're accurate in both speed and rpm ?

Both gauges are stamped with Chinese lettering that says " Qualified " in English . I was surprised when my wife who is from China told it was Chinese writing . I'm trying to see if the writing could be the same in Japanese but no luck so far on Goggle
Maybe one of our members can read Japanese and help us with this
The numbers on the back of the speedo's and tachometers are the date but are read Day/Month/year so your speedo was actually made on the 22nd of June 1967 which makes it one of the latest units I have seen. Your tach was made on Feb 02 1967 (I believe that "C" is actually a zero with a scratch) so I would bet your tach is the one with the satin chrome pointer and your speedo has the pointer painted black. Incidentally, your tach was made on the same day as the one in my #00003 car which would make sense because I believe you said you had an early car too? Kevin Desirello is restoring car #00233 and the tach in that car is 10027 so it was manufactured 8 days after ours which sounds about right. I'm pretty sure that Nissan didn't let any cars go with two different gauges and in your case I would guess the reason for the mismatched pointers would be that your PO had a speedo failure so he picked up whatever the dealer had in stock at the time which would most likely have been the newer version with the black dot. I have been putting a list together of instrument date codes that came from cars which I am 99% certain were unmolested and so far all of them have had serial numbers on the tach's and speedo's that either matched or are just a couple of days apart. A good example would be my #00003 car which has a tachometer with #02027 and a speedo with 04027 which puts them 2 days apart. An interesting side note is that my #00489 car has a tachometer with #29037 and David Premo's car which is #00406 has a speedo with exactly the same number. Two instruments born on the same day but installed in cars that were 83 digits apart.

Anyone else dizzy yet? :shock:

I'll post more later when I get it all together.

Jon
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

Jon is correct the " C " on my tac is a " 0 " and i was reading the number's the American way
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
All Gave Some - Some Gave All
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225