67.5 2000 Roadster Guide

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Re: 67.5 2000 Roadster Guide

Post by jacksonfdny »

Thanks for the photo's
It seems there is a difference between the valve cover's on the 1/2 year 2 liter cars . Rivets in the " C " , others in front of the " C "
Throttle cable brackets on top of valve cover on some cars , some not . Is there difference in how bracket holding throttle cable was mounted ? I've seen some where the vertical leg of bracket comes up from the rear and some from the front of mounting point
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
All Gave Some - Some Gave All
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

The main difference for the hood harness is the light and horn relay wires. The original had the wires exit together and run to the relays. The updated harness has the two sets of wires exiting separately at different points closer to each relay.

As to the temperature sensor, the original has a fork terminal. I suppose now the sensor is a bullet type connector. I see on Dean's site that is what is offered. This is something I had not thought about on the harnesses I just made. A simple matter of crimping on a bullet socket.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Steve: It doesn't mean your car is worth less - it just means it doesn't have the OEM carbs. The Type IVs ARE better - just not original equipment (as they weren't even manufactured at the time).

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
fossil
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by fossil »

A few random observations with no guarantee on accuracy:

Model ID plate had line Model For Year only up to #150 approx. Later did not have line

Speedo and tach had date codes stamped on back and center hub on pointer was chrome until about #490 and then from
#510 and later were painted flat black

Battery was a group 24 not 24F and negative cable was hooked toward rear

Rear quarter panels had two configurations on bottom behind wheel opening and changed somewhere in production. The
early ones were similar to the earlier 1600 cars while the later ones were similar to the 68 and later cars.

Original window regulator handles were dull silver and were flat on shank

Original windshield washer bags had 3? clips to retain motor # of clips changed on replacements?

Exhaust manifold attached to flared exhaust pipe with 2 piece clamp
not 3 studs as on later cars.

Headrests were optional when cars were sold.

Outside door mirror had swept back base without a screw to hold the round head.

Soft top, top boot and tonneau cover were made from cotton canvas that was guaranteed to shrink and fade and not from
acrylic material such as Stayfast. The closest material was made by Haartz and was called durable and was
discontinued many years ago.

Sun visors were standard equipment. The earlier cars had a tan/gray color and the later cars were black.

The ash tray cover and surround were dull chrome in the central area as opposed to the shiny ones on earlier
roadsters. The ash tray cover knob was black and the same shape as the chrome ones on earlier 1600's

The rear bumper had 3 mounting brackets.

On RHD models there was an optional ash tray assembly mounted in the passenger door that took a special door assembly.

The shift plate was made from steel and had both a rubber boot and a vinyl boot. The shift label was made from
mylar or a similar material and not made from aluminum. The original label ws not shiny.

The alternator was unique because it had French metric screws for assembly while later ones had regular metric
threads. May be other variations.

The locks were made so that one key could operate the ignition, the center console, the doors and the trunk.

The convertible top latches were dull chrome plated and not painted.

The SU carburetors were unique in that the ported vacuum connection was on the rear carburetor. They had French
metric screw threads and the float bowls were different than the later carbs. The SU intake manifolds were different
and had small 1/8 BSPT plugs in the runners.

Stan
gmagana

Post by gmagana »

fossil wrote: Speedo and tach had date codes stamped on back and center hub on pointer was chrome until about #490 and then from

Stan

That is partially correct, The 67.5 early 2L cars had a silver center to the pointer
Silver pointer.jpg
the later 67.5 cars correctly had the flat black.
Flat Black pointer.jpg
Chrome was found on the 1600 gauges
Chrome 1600 pointer.jpg

The 2000 had a gauge that was made specifically for that one model with two variations and to my knowledge the Nissan gauges you bought from the parts dept had the black dials
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

This is getting interesting

Stan -- I have car 195 and my plate has Model Year on it

gmagana -- on car 225 i have both the silver and black centers spedo is black and tac is silver ( will check on 195 )
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
All Gave Some - Some Gave All
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
gmagana

Post by gmagana »

fossil wrote:
Speedo and tach had date codes stamped on back and center hub on pointer was chrome until about #490 and then from

Stan
jacksonfdny wrote:This is getting interesting

gmagana -- on car 225 i have both the silver and black centers spedo is black and tac is silver ( will check on 195 )
Yes so chrome as Stan pointed out is incorrect, it is nowhere on the pointers, it is a 1600 item. Interesting to see that the cars also could come with different color pointers on those 2 gauges. Is there any chance someone did a gauge replacement? if they are the original gauges you should post a pic of the silver one just to rule out the possibility that there was a 8000 rpm tach chrome version out there.
fossil

Post by fossil »

REPLY TO Correction comment:

I posted that "the center hub on pointer was chrome until about car #490" A PROFESSIONAL RESTORER saying that the statement was incorrect and that the center hub of the early pointer was "Silver". We all know that silver is a semi-precious metal. The original gauges never had "Silver" on the pointer hub. It can be verified by an instrument restorer that the pointer hubs were chrome in satin finish. Top latches should not be painted silver as they are satin finish chrome.

Maybe we need a primer on the different appearances of chrome. Why would one replace chrome with paint?

Maybe one can consider your bumpers restored if you paint them instead of getting them replated?

Stan
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Here we go again...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
gmagana

Post by gmagana »

fossil wrote:REPLY TO Correction comment:

I posted that "the center hub on pointer was chrome until about car #490" A PROFESSIONAL RESTORER that recently
advertised a car says that the statement was incorrect and that the center hub of the early pointer was "Silver", We
all know that silver is a semi-precious metal. The original gauges never had "Silver" on the pointer hub. It can be
verified by an instrument restorer that the pointer hubs were chrome in satin finish.

Stan
I thought this was a discussion for getting the information for the correct items for a 67 2000??
Last edited by gmagana on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S Allen
Site Admin

Post by S Allen »

No, it is not. We are going to keep it civil. Stan has a ton of knowledge concerning these cars. I believe he was simply restating the facts. Some of Stan's information comes from Jon Frampton whom we all know is a professional restorer of these gauges. So, let's chill.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

here is a pic from Alvin with gauges the same, they are so nice looking I'm guessing Mr Jon Frampton (will be seeing Peter in March)

restored them. Going to check mine ... of course both are black, just like they came from the parts department.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Why not do both?
alvinstylehardtop.jpg
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

S Allen wrote: Jon Frampton whom we all know is a professional restorer of these gauges.

Steve
From what I've seen of his work ar-TIST would be a better description. I almost want to have one done by him and frame the thing.

I plan on having him do mine.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
S Allen
Site Admin

Post by S Allen »

Agreed Curtis-Jon is a true artist. Beautiful workmanship for sure.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth