40 years in the making...

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Re: 40 years in the making...

Post by GoldHawg »

[/quote]

Tempting. I get the additional bracing, but is it really lighter than the stock channel?
[/quote]

No; much heavier. But the stock radiator is much heavier than the aluminum rad/fancombo I'm putting in. I didn't weigh the brace, but its maybe 5+ lbs? I bet I won't be much heavier overall. Besides the SR20 is much lighter than the U20 if I'm correct.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

I decided to take a pause on the radiator/fan/condenser install, because it is going to be so tight and I don't have the steering gearbox now (being freshened up by JT68) and I need to have it in place before getting that mount set. So I proceeded today to cut out the metal to allow the evaporator to fit nicely in the area above the passenger's feet and snug to the firewall. Looks like I will be losing the vent on that side unfortunately, although I'll think about how I might be able to make something that would be a smaller vent that would still fit. I hate cutting thru the bracing, but I will ensure the cover will have an even stronger bracing than the factory job!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by RustyBucket »

That looks a ‘GM FridgeAire’ install on a ‘74 Grand Prix back in the day.

The Cowling duct work for the original air vent system was so odd. To think that the external air swirling around inside the wheel well would be funneled into the passage compartment seems like a unhealthy idea , but it provide more ventilation for hot feet and legs than in a MG or TR6 👍
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Today is a sad day in the restoration process. For the last few years I've been blessed with a friend from church who was retired and loved cars and was willing to come over most any time and help. Often you've seen his hand in the background holding something up, but more than his physical help was his counsel. He'd built and raced cars for over 50 years, and in his job of 40 years with the Air National Guard, he was the supervisor of the machine shop. He'd just about seen it all, so if we didn't know how to figure it out immediately, it was not long in coming. Monty and I had the motto, we are often befuddled, but never defeated. While out of town over the weekend, I got a call from his son-in-law that he passed away at 70 years of age from a heart attack. My wife is still in tears; "I won't see his little red truck drive up to work with you." And she is not alone in her tears. Monty was an amazing man and generous servant. He even smiled through my shop rules: If anything went wrong, Monty would get all the blame. But if things went right, I'd give him half the credit. Everything remaining on this build will now take longer, but make no mistake, I'm going to get 'er done. This car will yet drive and his widow will see that it was "Montyfied".
Monty Oyler, RIP good friend.
https://www.jacksonlytle.com/obituaries ... rationWall

Edit: Here is a pic of Monty a few years ago, mentoring some of the boys from our church who were learning how to work on cars and just do life with the men.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

So sorry for your loss. Nothing can replace a good friend, especially one who enjoys the same hobby as you. Relish the good times you had together and keep him in you thoughts as you make progress on your car. Let his memory cast the light that let’s you see your project to it’s conclusion.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
brn2rde
Roadster Fanatic

Post by brn2rde »

Great tribute. Sounds like a great guy who will be missed.
1969 1600(daughters build/car)
1967.5 1600(future project)
Just for fun-1949 Chevrolet 2d sedan, 1913 Aussie Model T fire truck, 1948 Jeepster, 1949 Bedford Ute. I might have a car problem...
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

Sorry to hear that kind of news. Monty was a close buddy and mentor to you as well.
Take comfort in the fact that you two guys had quality time together doing something of enjoyment. There are a lot of retirees that just sit around in front of TVs and grumble.
So you must now go forth and share that mentorship which Monty instilled with you .
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Monty's love, wisdom, knowledge and spirit lives on with you and through you and all the other people his soul touched. A life well lived that continues to impact others for generations. The pain is intense right now, the loss palpable. Over time the pain will ebb, and what will remain are fond memories, moments to laugh (and cry, and laugh again), and stories of guidance and insight. Love never dies; it lives through you and all you share of him with others, adding your own to the experience of life. He will rest in peace, and you will share again.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Well, I've got another friend from church, Don, who is now suiting up and helping me some (cuz I'm worthless solo!) and we've made a bit of progress. If my radiator clears the hood, I'm golden. If not, I can get 1/4" lower with thinner rubber on my brackets, or 1/2" lower by making new brackets. Think this may fit though.
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

Monty would be proud of the progress 👍
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Took a different direction today, as Saturday mornings is mentoring day. One of the boys that you saw in earlier photos came by and I had him help me cut off the bumper bracket. I designed a much thicker piece with careful measurements to Fusion360, then cut with plasma cutter, with the length to tie into the previous thicker metal under the crossmember. Then I'll be able to use this for a towbar mount by removing the bumper and brackets. I didn't get to it, but I'll also have a piece under the front cross part of the frame to tie into this. It will be very strong. Already with just this piece, its super stiff compared to the stock bracket. I let him do some of the welds that may get a bit more focus (along with one of mine!) with the Tig after I take everything apart.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I would have loved to have your kind of help and instruction at that age. A skill for life.
Well done! You should feel great about the work and the good that you are doing with this project and with all the individuals who are involved and instructed.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Also was able to get to the hood today; picture is blurry but the blue thing is a piece of painters tape on top of the radiator cap. I'd say I have almost 1/2" clearance to the hood. Declaring victory (w/minor tweaking on the rubber for brackets) on the radiator. WooHoo!
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Back to the AC. I made a major change, as I swapped my plan for using the Gen II mini and ended up going with the Gen IV. I had ordered the Gen II mini mock up box and I was able to get it to fit nicely, but...
I failed to notice that the direction of the vents was not out toward the cabin, but on the top of the unit; and I couldn't change that due to the drain. Bigtaku used the Gen II mini and his installer just made a box to surround the airflow and force it to go down where he made some exits. I thought about doing this, but had an extended discussion w/Vintage Air and they strongly suggested the Gen IV for a superior unit, if it could physically fit. I knew it would since Shannon is running the Gen IV in his setup. Vintage Air puts the Gen IV in every one of their car kits, even early corvettes w/similar limited underdash space. I ended having to cut up even more of a hole in the side to get both the AC and heater hose lines thru, but I had already crossed that rubicon.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

So today I finished making a new bracket to mount the evaporator, since the front bracket from vintage air would have to be modified. I combined this project with my decision on where to mount my ECU. I had room behind the evaporator, but I wanted to maintain relatively easy access to it. I also could have mounted it on the side but give the shape of the evaporator I want to save as much room as possible for the passenger's right foot. So I just made a new bracket that would also hold the ECU in place. I spent a few hours with carefully measuring and got a design for the CNC Plasma, but I still had some work to make it fit, especially with the bends I chose. I initially had a more complicated design but it wouldn't fit right to the dash w/o major work and I just decided to make it simpler so the ECU can go in easier but still be secure. I'm pretty happy with the result. Right now its only being held by one nut insert, but I'll add another after I pull the evaporator out to give me enough room to operate the nut insert tool. But even w/just one dash bolt and two to the firewall on the back bracket its very secure. I have it all the way to the top of the dash. I think I'll be running the ECU wiring thru the stock heater hose inlet in the firewall; I appear to have plenty of length with the Wiring Specialties harness.